cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmb0058
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 38

BT whole home wifi

May be connected to a recent firmware update but my devices (Samsung Galaxy A and 8.0 tablets and S6 Edge phone) regularly lose connection ....well they seem to still have an IP address but no connectivity. The phone shows "Authentication error occurred", even though the credentials haven't changed for years ...

Any ideas ? I tried the "manually set the channels to 1 and 36", made no difference.

Thanks,

David
0 Ratings
37 REPLIES
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 38

Re: BT whole home wifi

Try unsyncing the 2.4 and 5G bands if the router is dual band, and giving the 5Ghz band a different name to the second (adding a 5 should suffice). If that doesn't work try giving them a static IP...

0 Ratings
dmb0058
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 38

Any ideas on how to do this ? Nothing in the admin screens or the admin app that suggests any of it is possible
0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 38

It maybe that you don't have a dual band router then, could you please let us know which hub you have. TIA  Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
peterh0001
Contributor
Message 5 of 38

The BT Whole Home is a mesh system and does not allow the 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz bands to have a different SSID so this is a non starter.

Can you see the devices in the App or on the Web login and if so do the IP addresses check ?

Peter

0 Ratings
dmb0058
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 38

Good ! It did sound like we were talking about two different products Smiley Happy

All devices do appear in the app but I'll check if their IP addresses match next time it happens - usually 7-10 times a day. My WH is plugged into a router which serves DHCP (both all factory default apart from the necessary config values such as SSID, passwords etc.), and I notice that the lease time is 2 hours so I might bump that up to a couple of days just to see if that's affecting anything too.
0 Ratings
dmb0058
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 38

A bit more info ... I had a Samsung S6 Edge phone and a Galaxy Tab A connected to my Whole Home network.

The tablet went offline, though it still had an IP address (192.168.0.24) so I quickly checked to see if this matched the IP address it was assigned on the router using my phone. Turns out it had gone offline at the same time !

When in this state, the phone shows "Authentication error occurred" on the wifi screen. In both devices, switching wifi off and on restores the connection and the devices get the same IP addresses as they had before going into limbo.

The same problem happens on an Amazon Fire HD.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 38

Have you tried just forgetting the Whole Home SSID and re-adding it? May need to create a new profile after the update.

0 Ratings
dmb0058
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 38

Do you mean just forgetting the network on each device, then re-adding the network ?

Hmm, no I don't think I've tried that, I'll give it a go and see Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 10 of 38

Hi @dmb0058

Are you still having issues with these devices and seeing an authentication error after forgetting and re-adding the network in your phones?

BT Device ExpertDan O
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings