Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

BT whole home wifi

Go to solution
Hello guys

I just received and set up my device.

Can I use them both both without having an ethetnet cable connected?

I don't see the point of it while router and one mesh sitting next to each other.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT whole home wifi

Go to solution

you connect discs to hub with ethernet initially and after hub lights gp blue you disconenct the ethernet cable and repostion the disc wherever you want and just connect to power supply - no ethernet now required

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@imjolly I don’t think that’s correct. I’ve got a 3 disc setup and the ‘master’ first disc needs to be connected via ethernet to the router at all times. The remaining discs connect via WiFi after they’ve initially been connected to the router - no ethernet cable required.

I just tried unplugging the ethernet cable from the master disc and the Whole Home WiFi conked out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
That's true all my light are red now.

I can't make them work.

I hope there is a way to do it though as I don't see the point of it sitting next to my router where I can get the signal anyway.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@Paul_31

looks like you may well be right that initial disc is connected by ethernet

I only have the one disc and that was as I described - connected by ethernet to hub then after blue light removed and just connected to power wherever I wanted boost wifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@PiskopatYazarwrote:
That's true all my light are red now.

I can't make them work.

I hope there is a way to do it though as I don't see the point of it sitting next to my router where I can get the signal anyway.

Indeed, one of the disc needs to be connected by ethernet to your router; that's the same with any other Mesh Wifi systems out there. The point of Whole Home Wifi is to create an intelligent Wifi network with multiple access points to cover the house and devices automatically connecting to the best access point.

Because your router doesn't have that intelligence built-in, it can't be part of that network. That's why you need that disc plugged in near your broadband entry point.

We actually advise that you should switch-off the wifi in your router to reduce chances of interference, but that's optional.

Hope this explains.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
I just ordered 5m ethernet cable to take it to my bedroom will see if it will make the job.
0 Ratings