Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stevesmith2407
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT whole home

Hi,

I've installed the BT whole home equipment and it all works perfectly. The problem is that my son has realised he can download the app and control the wi-fi - is there a way of putting a password in for the app so that he cannot access it?
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT whole home

Hi, yes you can stop your son being able to change whole home settings from his phone. Your Whole Home system is protected by the admin password of the discs. You need to type this password when you first try to change a setting from the app.

For obvious reasons, you'll need to change the password from the default one printed on the back of the disc. Go into the Whole Home Wi-Fi app settings page, option Change admin password.

Hope this helps.

Device expertBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Stevesmith2407
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi Bruno,
Its the app I want to stop him getting access to - can you password protect the app?
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 7

Hi again @Stevesmith2407, you can't password protect the App itself, but you can stop your son making changes to settings by changing the Admin password of your discs to a secret password only you know. This will stop him installing the app on his phone and being able to make changes.

To be clear, he'll be able to open the app and view settings, but - most importantly - he won't be able to make any changes.

If you're trying to stop him viewing the settings altogether, then no, the App doesn't support that. If that's what you're trying to do, I'd be interested to understand the purpose so we can pass on the suggestion to the team for future improvement. There's nothing secret in viewing settings, so would be interested to understand a scenario where someone would want to stop this.

Thanks.

Device expertBrunoN
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Stevesmith2407
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi Bruno,
As he is on the network, he has downloaded the app and he can access the discs to give himself access. One of the main reasons we purchased this was so that we could control their access to the internet at bedtime/weekends.
Am I missing something obvious?
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 7

Hi again @Stevesmith2407, no worries, I'll try to add more details now.

I understand that:

- You have a phone/tablet with the Whole Home App installed

- Your son has a phone with the app installed

- You want to be able to set bedtime / control schedules for your son's devices which you don't want him to be able to undo without your permission

If those assumptions above are correct, then I confirm that's perfectly do-able.

- First and foremost you have to realise that you can't stop your son downloading the app and viewing the settings; but you can stop him make changes

- To do this, go in the App on your phone (NOT your son's), Settings page, and choose Change Admin Password

- Change to a password that only you know and then save

From this point if your son goes into the app on his phone he'll be prompted to enter the new admin password before he's able to make any changes. So he won't be able to make those changes if your password is secret.

Of course, if your son has access to your phone, then there's nothing you can do to stop him; it's up to you to control access to your personal device with a pin (which in every case is good practice anyway - with or without whole home).

Does this make sense, or am I still mis-understanding what you're trying to achieve?

Device expertBrunoN
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Stevesmith2407
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Hi Bruno,
That's what I needed - he had obviously read the admin code off the discs.
Thanks for your help
Steve
0 Ratings