cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT4000 Issue receiving calls from unknown numbers

Hello there,

My elderly mother has recently started using the BT4000 big button phone. I helped her set up family and friends numbers in the phone book, and she is able to receive calls from these numbers no problem. However, a friend (who is not in her phonebook) has told her that when he called, he received a message to say that his number had been blocked!

I suspect that this is because the phone has been set somehow to only accept calls from numbers in her phonebook. What is the easiest way to sort this out? Bearing in mind that I would need to give instructions over the phone / video call as I cannot travel to see her at the moment.

My mother is in poor health I really need to help sort this as she is wating to hear from the hospital and her consultant over a very serious health issue.

All help greatfully received,

MJ

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT4000 Issue receiving calls from unknown numbers

@MichaelArch01 

I suspect she has blocked the number by mistake. The number will need to be removed from the blocked list, and her friend needs to be added to the phone book so that they get through right away.

Page 35 in the manual, is the place to start.

https://shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/8tc0/bt4000_user_guide_[.pdf

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Her friend's phone number wasn't in the phonebook though. She also didn't receive a call from him and block it then either. He called her and was given the blocked number message.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@MichaelArch01 wrote:

Her friend's phone number wasn't in the phonebook though. She also didn't receive a call from him and block it then either. He called her and was given the blocked number message.

Then add the number to the phonebook, as that should override any other options, provided the number is not withheld.

You can always call the free helpdesk number for advice.

Product helpdesk information

If your phone is within warranty:

By phone: 0800 145 6789

Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.30pm, Saturday 9am to 2pm

By email: Click here for email support

If your product is out of warranty contact BT's recommended agent

By phone: 0800 980 8999

Message 5 of 8

This may work for that specific number - but if the issue is that the phone is not accepting calls from numbers that are not in her phone book then what should she do?

If she takes the option of resetting the handset settings, will this mean that all incomgin calls can be received?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@MichaelArch01 wrote:

This may work for that specific number - but if the issue is that the phone is not accepting calls from numbers that are not in her phone book then what should she do?

If she takes the option of resetting the handset settings, will this mean that all incomgin calls can be received?

It would be best to ask the product support team, as we are all just BT customers posting here.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Just one more question...

I'v deduced that the phone is in Call Screening mode (I tried calling with my number witheld and was met with the message confirming this.) What is the best way to remove Call Screening mode and reverting to allow all calls?

Thank you so much for your help!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I think page 26 of the manual @Keith_Beddoe postage has answer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings