Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LadyDLT
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT4600 answerphone how to turn off the loud tone after a message is left

Go to solution

I have just set up my new phone BT4600, easy to set up, but when someone leaves a message on answer phone when they disconnect there is a loud tone, have looked through the manual but cant find any info on how to stop the tone.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT4600 answerphone how to turn off the loud tone after a message is left

Go to solution

@LadyDLT 

Welcome to this user forum.

Who provides your phone service, because the line is not disconnecting properly, and you are getting NU (Number Unobtainable) tone, which should not happen.

0 Ratings
LadyDLT
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

BT. had engineer out last week as had ongoing problem for months, answerphone would say someone leaving message but they weren’t as when looked at calls they  rang 3 hours earlier, when they tried to ring again later, line engaged although we were not home, this was on a 6 week old phone that was a replacement phone that had the same problem (same model) engineer tested line and could not find a fault, replaced old wall socket with new one (which has speeded up internet) and said to contact BT for phone replacement again, now got different model, only put it on line yesterday but seems to be ok apart from this awful tone at end of message, has not had same problem as old phones but early days, if line not disconnecting properly what can I do?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Not sure, as what should happen is that when the caller hangs up, the line should  disconnect. You may get a short burst of tone, but it should stop within a couple of seconds.

I assume that the tone is carrying on longer?

You can turn the volume down.

0 Ratings
LadyDLT
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

it does go off after a 5-6 second but would prefer not to hear it, it happened on the old phone too but engineer went through settings and got rid of it, but can't see anything in book to do it on this phone, i know we are not normally here when a message is left but it might upset the dogs when we are out.

If i turn the volume down i wont hear the phone when it rings?

looks like i will just have to put up with it!!

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@LadyDLT 

If you turn the volume down on the base unit, you can still listen to recorded calls via any one of the handsets.

I have just checked on my system, and the base ring volume is totally separate, and is an option on the handset settings menu. I have just turned down the volume on the base unit to zero, and I can still hear the base phone ringing

Look on the handset and do this

Menu

Settings

Base settings

Ringing

Ringing volume.

Then select the volume you want. Its not affected by the volume set on the base unit.

That should fix the problem.

0 Ratings
LadyDLT
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

HI

Just tried that and turned ringing volume off, then husband used mobile to leave message on answerphone, i can hear phone ringing ok, can hear message being left and long loud tone after they disconnect, obviously with handset in cradle it must be going through that?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Turn the volume down on the base unit, that is the one that controls the answerphone volume level. Its on the front of the base unit.

Capture.JPG

If you keep pressing the "-" button, the answerphone volume will eventually go down to zero, or as low as you want it. If its zero, then you will not hear any incoming calls to the answerphone (screening off).

You can set it just loud enough to hear the message, but not loud enough to make the tone be annoying. You will not be able to eliminate the tone, as its caused by the time take for the exchange to drop the connection. Its also detected by the base unit, and forces the answer phone to disconnect.

This does not affect the ringing volume, as that is set on the handset menu, as I described on my last post.

LadyDLT
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

ok will try that

thanks for all your help

0 Ratings