cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT4600 answerphone problems

We have a BT4600 base unit and 2 other units. The answerphone was set to work within about 8 rings. Recently when someone rings if we dont pick up within about 5 rings they do not hear a message, when they ring off our phone does not end the call and when the next person rings they hear the engaged tone.

Following the BT booklet I have looked at the answerphone setting and under Answer Mode it says "not available'. We have tried re-setting the phone, removing batteries etc but makes no difference. On the base the answerphone light is ON. 

I cant see any info under troubleshooting to cover this issue, any suggestions?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT4600 answerphone problems

@margaux 

Have you tried removing the power to the base unit for about a minute?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hello Keith thanks for reply, yes we have tried switching off power and leaving for a while to see if it helped.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Hi @margaux Welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your BT 4600 phone. When you reset the phone did you chose the handset or the base?

The answerphone and call settings are stored on the base so if you haven't tried resetting the base it might help, page 72 on the user guide gives you the steps to follow.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@margaux wrote:

Hello Keith thanks for reply, yes we have tried switching off power and leaving for a while to see if it helped.

Who provides your phone service?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hello Neil, I think it was just the handset so will try re-setting the base. Thanks for suggestion

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@margaux no worries, if the base reset doesn't help I'd recommend getting in touch with the 4600 help desk on 0800 145 6789. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@margaux 

Why I was asking about your phone provider is that if its BT Retail, then the calling number should have automatically  disconnected the incoming call, despite any issue with the answerphone.

This would mean that the line would not be engaged.

Some other provider may not have  First Party Disconnect, which would mean that your phone would keep the line busy.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Hello Keith, thanks for explaining re the phone service provider.  The equipment is BT but the landline provider is not so this could be why its not disconnecting. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I have the same issue. My line is left engaged if a caller from a mobile disconnects without leaving a message. My provider is Virgin who dont want to know. I have had 2 BT4600 machines but same issue. Only with mobiles. Its as if the signal to drop the line is not sent.

0 Ratings