Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjj1
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

BT4600 not allowing VIP numbers to come through directly

Go to solution

I have just bought a BT4600 telephone and have entered into the contact list several numbers that have been styled as VIP. However, when these VIP numbers call they are still greeted with the BT Call Blocking message. 

These VIP numbers should all be coming through without being challenged. 

Any ideas why this is happening ?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT4600 not allowing VIP numbers to come through directly

Go to solution

@pjj1 

Do you have caller display enabled on your line?

0 Ratings
pjj1
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thank you. I now have it enabled and it appears to work properly 

0 Ratings
Sycamore
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

I’m having the same problem. Caller display is enabled but everyone is still getting screened first. 

0 Ratings
MurrayB
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Hi Sycamore,

Is it the phone that is screening the calls, or do you have a networked-based call screening system in place that is intercepting the calls before the phone does?

If not, when a call comes in, does the name/number display on the handset, or does it display "Incoming Call"?

0 Ratings
DMC2
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

I have caller display enabled, but still have VIP status numbers, which are also speed dials, having to face the BT announce challenge. Worse, it worked fine up to a couple of months ago, and even worse the vip callers have to announce only occasionally; some of the time they come through unchallenged. I have reset up the numbers, ensuring they have vip status, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. BT 4600 BIG BUTTON phone.

0 Ratings
MurrayB
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Hi DMC2.

Who provides your landline for you?  Is it BT or another service provider?

0 Ratings
terrypin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

I have the same problem. Also, I see that if I EDIT an existing VIP contact it displays VIP Status as Off. If I again change that to On then after clicking OK and using EDIT again it is still Off!

In addition, despite having set the blocking mode to Announce, not Answer Phone, when a caller phones and asked to state their name,  I do not get Option 2 described in the startup guide: “...always accept their calls, press 2”. If I press 2 anyway in a spirit of hope, nothing happens and the next call from that contact suffers the same behaviour. (My test contact, my wife, has now exhausted her patience!)

I thought this was supposed to be easy to set up?

Terry

0 Ratings
MurrayB
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Hi terrypin,

Do you have Caller Display set up on your line?  If you turn off the Call Blocking are the callers' numbers displayed on the handset or do you see the message INCOMING CALL?

Additionally, have you checked that you do not have any network-based call screening services set on your mine which may be intercepting the call before it reaches the phone?

0 Ratings
terrypin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks Murray, appreciate the fast reply. I’d assumed I had all the features I needed but propmpted by your question I’m going to check my contract in a moment.

I’m not sure I know exactly what you mean by your second question. What ‘network’? I’m just a solo home user. I do have an old landline (no display) and I do have the 1571 Call Minder service. This BT 4600 pair replaces my previous BT Graphite pair.

Terry, East Grinstead
0 Ratings