Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidga
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT4600 - unable to call numbers using phonebook

Go to solution

Hello - I've just bought a trio of BT4600 phones.  I've had no problems making calls by entering the number on the keypad in the usual way.

I've entered several contacts into the phonebook.  The problem arises when I try to call a number from the phonebook (i.e. scrolling to that contact and pressing the green 'call' button):  I can hear the number being dialled, but instead of getting a ringing tone I just get a continuous tone and the call doesn't connect.

The first time this happened, I assumed that I'd mis-typed the number in my phonebook. But when I enter the number manually, the contact name is displayed (showing it was correctly entered in the phonebook) and the call goes through OK.

This has happened with several different contacts and all three handsets, even when I'm close the the base unit.

Can anyone help, please?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT4600 - unable to call numbers using phonebook

Go to solution

@davidga 

Who provides your phone service?

0 Ratings
davidga
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
BT.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@davidga wrote:
BT.

Does the call still fail if you enter the number in the keypad before pressing the green button, so that the number string is sent as one long string.

If you are pressing the green button first, then dialling the number manually, then there is a much larger interval between the tones.

I am trying to determine whether it an "echo" issue/problem with the line card tone decoder.

0 Ratings
davidga
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Keith - many thanks for your interest, but I think I've worked out what's been going wrong.

When I first got the phones I set my own system PIN, instead of the default 0000.

I recorded the tones emitted while dialling my own mobile, and found (by playing it at half speed) that using the phonebook generated an extra four tones before my mobile's number.  I put the recording through a spectrogram, estimated the two frequencies for each tone, and found that the extra four were the same as my system PIN!  The phonebook was using these as a PBX access code, for some strange reason.

I have deleted this unwanted PBX code in Settings/BaseSettings/PBX code, and I can now dial from the phonebook without problems.

All rather mysterious, but things now seem to be working.  Sorry to have troubled you!

David

0 Ratings