cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeS14
Message 1 of 7

BT8500 message playback grief

When I playback ... or try to playback messages that have been left, all I'm getting is a continuous tone followed by a message saying "replace handset and try again".

Tried unplugging and powering up again but a bit stuck as to what else to try.

I'm not able to hear the messages that have been left. V annoying.

Anyone have the same problem or better still a solution ?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT8500 message playback grief

Weird one. Is it just the messages that have a problem? Can you make / receive phone calls okay?

All I can think of: when you say you unplug and power off/on, do you also power cycle the handsets?

I suggest you switch off everything (unplug base and switch-off all handsets). Then switch them back on; base first, then handsets.

Hope this helps. If not you may have to call the helpdesk.

BT Device ExpertBruno
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
MikeS14
Message 3 of 7

Yes I can make and receive phone calls no problem ... it's just playing back left messages that I get this problem and it's only happened in the last couple of weeks .. all was fine before.

I'm not sure how to switch off / power cycle the handsets in order to give your possible solution a try .... do you just mean unplug them ?
0 Ratings
MikeS14
Message 4 of 7

Forgot to add ... when I try and playback messages, it does say how many messages there are and what time they were left ... but the message itself ... nothing but the continuous tone
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@MikeS14 wrote:
Forgot to add ... when I try and playback messages, it does say how many messages there are and what time they were left ... but the message itself ... nothing but the continuous tone

That means they hung up without leaving a message. What should happen is the line should disconnect and not go to NU tone.

Try ringing your phone line from a mobile, and see if you can leave a message.

0 Ratings
MikeS14
Message 6 of 7

Tried leaving a message from my mobile with same result and have asked people known to have called and yes, they did leave messages which I just didn't get to hear.
I think I'll be chucking the whole lot in the bin and replacing.
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 7 of 7

@MikeS14wrote:
Yes I can make and receive phone calls no problem ... it's just playing back left messages that I get this problem and it's only happened in the last couple of weeks .. all was fine before.

I'm not sure how to switch off / power cycle the handsets in order to give your possible solution a try .... do you just mean unplug them ?

To switch-off handsets: long press the red "end call" button. Unplug your base, switch off all handsets, then switch everything back on starting with the base. If that hasn't helpded, call the helpdesk (the number is in the phone book of the handset).

BT Device ExpertBruno
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings