cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

BT8500

During the last 24 hours my phone seems to have silenced my voice when I make a call. I can hear the other person but they cannot hear me. I have turned the volume up to full and I have checked that the mute setting has not been activated. I have called my own landline from my own mobile to check the mute is not accidentally switched on and it isn't. I have changed the batteries and put in new ones.

Up to yesterday all was well but today it's like this. Does anybody know what the problem is or who I can contact to advise me how to correct it. Thank you

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT8500

@stockdalecarina  Who provides your phone Service?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

BT

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

phone provider is BT

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Hi @stockdalecarina I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your phone. That type of problem could be caused by a line fault, to rule out the BT 8500 is it possible to check with another phone?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

The 8500 has a set of 4 handsets. Do you mean use another handset or switch them around. They are numbered 1 2 3 and 4. Does it matter which order they are placed in the units. ie, does number 1 handset have to be n the base unit

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

@stockdalecarina 

What @NeilO  means, is have you tried another make of phone, perhaps a basic wired phone?

If the volume problem affects all of the BT8500 handsets, and also affects another basic wired phone, the it could be caused by an exchange equipment fault.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

@stockdalecarina No sorry, I think you've misunderstood me. I didn't mean to try another of the BT 8500 handsets but to connect an alternative phone to the BT socket if possible. Out of interest do you get the same issue on all the BT 8500 handsets?

If you have the same problem on all the handsets, checking with a different phone will help us determine if it's a line issue or a problem with the BT 8500.

The type of issue you've mentioned could be caused by what's known as a one-way transmission line fault where you can hear the caller and they can't hear you.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

I don't have another phone. Do you mean I should buy another one to check this out.

Is there any way I can get BT to check my line to see if there are any faults on it

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

@stockdalecarina 

Have you tried removing the power to the base unit, for about a minute, as one way transmission can also be caused if the communication between the base unit and the handset, gets out of sync.

If you wanted to prove whether its a BT fault, then you can get a basic wired phone for less than £10, which is also useful if you get a power cut.

To avoid a possible visit charge, you need to prove that the fault is also present on another type of phone.

A BT line test cannot detect this type of fault.

0 Ratings