cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: BT8500

I've just disconnected the base unit for a couple of minutes and then re connected it. It's not made any difference.

Does the make of batteries make a difference. So long as I put in the same size does it matter. Are all AAA batteries the same.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

@stockdalecarina wrote:

I've just disconnected the base unit for a couple of minutes and then re connected it. It's not made any difference.

Does the make of batteries make a difference. So long as I put in the same size does it matter. Are all AAA batteries the same.

The batteries will not cause this fault, which I assume is affecting all handsets, it that correct?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

yes it has. I think I might have a couple of spare handsets somewhere. I'll try and find them and see if it still the same 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

@stockdalecarina wrote:

yes it has. I think I might have a couple of spare handsets somewhere. I'll try and find them and see if it still the same 

You will need to try that first. If they do the same, then you need to report the fault to BT.

A faulty line card port in the exchange can cause this, and its quite straightforward for an Openreach exchange technician to move you line to a different piece of equipment.

The exchange equipment is quite old, and does cause faults like this.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

what's the updated and most recent model that replaced the BT8500 and has 4 handsets

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

@stockdalecarina wrote:

what's the updated and most recent model that replaced the BT8500 and has 4 handsets

The BT4600 quad handsets. This also has larger buttons,

I would prove whether it is your existing handsets that are faulty, before buying any more. As I have said, an exchange fault is possible,

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Thank you

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

I've now established that the problem is the base unit.  As I have several spare BT8500 handsets as well as the 4 currently in use,, I've decided to get a new BT8500 base unit. Found 2 on E Bay that look in good condition and had little use, so bought them..

So my next questions are

1) How do I set up the new base unit and register it?  It won't be as simple as unplugging one and connecting the other.

2) Will the stored numbers on the existing handsets stay and still be there when I put them on the new base.  Do I need to  make a paper list of names and numbers and then re input them.

0 Ratings