cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rambel
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT8600

The answer phone on my BT8600 Advanced Call Blocking phone has stopped recording messages. People ring, the answer phone replies, it tells them to leave their message, they do, but no message is recorded. I have tried resetting the answer phone using the User Guide but to no avail. What can be done?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT8600

Have you tried this

1) Make sure your answering system is plugged into a live telephone jack and power source.

2) Make sure your answering system is turned on.

3) Some answering systems have an announce only option, which plays your greeting but won't record messages. Make sure your system is set to record messages.

4) Your answering system’s message capacity may be full. You must erase old messages to make room for new ones.

5) If you have voicemail service in addition to your answering system, your caller’s message may be going into voicemail before your answering system picks up the call. Program your voicemail to pick up at least 2 rings after your answering system is set to answer the call.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rambel
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Many thanks. I have recently reset both the base and the hand set and the answer phone now works.

However, for some time now when the phone rings and we pick up the handset on the base, the phone continues ringing and, now that it works, eventually the answer phone kicks in. On the other hand, if the call is picked up on the second handset in our bedroom the connection goes through. 

What is happening and what can be done?

0 Ratings
rambel
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

BT8600

Many thanks for the reply to my previous query about the answer phone. Actually I have recently reset both the base and the hand set and the answer phone now works.

However, for some time now when the phone rings and we pick up the handset on the base, the phone continues ringing and, now that it works, eventually the answer phone kicks in. On the other hand, if the call is picked up on the second handset in our bedroom the connection goes through. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@rambelwrote:

Many thanks for the reply to my previous query about the answer phone. Actually I have recently reset both the base and the hand set and the answer phone now works.

Hi @rambel   It is a few years since I had a BT8600 but have you checked the “auto-answer” on the handset that, well, auto-answers. Settings -> Call settings -> Auto answer on my Premium Voice Control phone. 

0 Ratings
rambel
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks. No joy.
I wonder if we will have to replace the system. Shame as we haven't had it so very long.
0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Hi
Check out the BT help pages at the http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55303/~/bt8600-advanced-call-blocker

You should have up to 60 minutes answer machine recording time this includes memo.

You will lose your contacts, but try resetting the Base and handsets before thinking about purchasing a new one.

If your phone is within warranty, call BT help on 0800 145 6789 Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.30pm, Saturday 9am to 2pm.

See also FAQ: Why isn't my answering machine recording messages?
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10843
Check you don’t have 1571 is not turned on.

To factory reset the phone, using the handset select settings, Reset, Base settings and H/Set settings.
0 Ratings
rambel
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Very good of you to take the time to reply to my messages.

I have actually already reset both base and hand set. As you'll see from the thread, this has solved the answer phone problem. It works!

The remaining problem is the base hand set doesn't pick up incoming calls, while the secondary hand set in the bedroom does. When I pick up the base hand set, the incoming call isn't answered, the phone goes on ringing and eventually goes to the answer phone! During most of its life, this has not happened.

I await words of wisdom.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@rambel wrote:

The remaining problem is the base hand set doesn't pick up incoming calls, while the secondary hand set in the bedroom does. When I pick up the base hand set, the incoming call isn't answered, the phone goes on ringing and eventually goes to the answer phone! During most of its life, this has not happened.

I await words of wisdom.

What happens if you press the green answer button on the base handset, when an incoming call comes in?

There is an option to disable the ring on pickup (auto answer), which you may have accidentally set?

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings