cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kfarquhar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 111 of 244

Re: BTHub6 (Smart Hub) As WiFi Extender or AP (Access Point) & HH5.

Go to solution

@NeilO   Actually that's not the case. In this post we're talking about using teh HH as a WAP without a broadband connection (i.e. not a router) and the BB led flashes all the time whatever setting you apply on thesmart hub browser.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 112 of 244

Go to solution

@kfarquhar Oops my bad, I'll step away from the thread Smiley Embarassed

0 Ratings
pol098
Aspiring Contributor
Message 113 of 244

Go to solution

Thanks to kfarquhar for comments, glad to hear the SH is working. My experience was very straightforward setup of HH6 Type B, SH [6] Type B started working after ritual incantations I described, though could just be luck. In both cases Type B, that could well be relevant.

Re the light: the normal light can be turned off, as someone said, but the error lights can't. And a SH used as a non-BT Internet access point is in permanent "can't connect" error. Someone suggested a sophisticated solution (duct tape); I went for the primitive fix and just propped a magazine in front of the hub. Also, if the light is set to half brightness when able to connect to BTI (you can't change this if not connected), I think it was reported that the error lights also get set to and stay at half-bright.

Best wishes, pol098

0 Ratings
smithbill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 114 of 244

Go to solution

After finding this thread through Google, I went ahead and bought one of these BT Smart Hubs (Home Hub 6A) on eBay to act as a Wireless Access Point on my existing home network. Unfortunately, the HH6a will not function as a WAP for the reasons alluded to in others postings - namely, it fails as a DHCP forwarder.

I have fully configured the HH6 with DHCP switched OFF (my understanding is that the 'Authoritive' setting is irrelevant whilst DHCP is off). When devices try to connect to my LAN via the HH6, they fail to get an IP address because the HH6 seems unable to forward the request to my main router (that being the Authoritive DHCP server). So no IP is allocated.

Occasionally it will work, but if you subsequently connect to the main router (and get allocated an IP address by the main router) and later try connecting to the HH6, then it fails to obtain an IP address.

You can configure the HH6 as a 2nd DHCP server on your network no problem. However, when the HH6 then serves IP addresses out to connecting clients (eg. my Android phone) then the Gateway IP address served is the IP for the HH6 which will not permit Internet access because the Gateway needs to be  IP of the main router, not the HH6. Unfortunately, there is no way to configure the Gateway IP address handed out by the HH6 because BT have not provided any facility to do this in the web interface (likewise you cannot configure the DNS server IPs handed out by the DHCP on the HH6).

I even tried adding the IP address of my main router (the real DHCP server on my home network) as the DMZ device in the HH6, but that made no difference.

The HH6 I bought on eBay has firmware  SG4B1000B540. I believe there is a newer version of firmware for the BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6a) released in May 2019 which is version SG4B1000E016, but I have no idea if this addresses this DHCP forwarding issue. And I am unable to upgrade to this newer version as I don't actually have BT broadband and there appears to be no way to download the firmware and flash it to the HH6 manually (you have to be connected on BT broadband and let it update itself when it decides to).

So, in short, do NOT waste your time trying to get the BT HH6 to work as a WAP forwarding DHCP requests to another router on your network - it will not work reliably. You can use it if all your connecting devices (eg. Internet cameras etc) allow you to allocate static IP addresses. Otherwise, it's junk destined for landfill.

Bill

0 Ratings
pol098
Aspiring Contributor
Message 115 of 244

Go to solution

I had posted about success in using the SH (aka HH6] as a wireless access point. It worked perfectly for weeks, then went wrong, with the DHCP problem. I think (I didn't do proper systematic troubleshooting) that letting the SH provide DHCP addresses within the subnet I am using that is not in the main router DHCP range doesn't (as smithbill said) but also couldn't be made to work by configuring the settings for the 802.11ac SSIS manually to an appropriate IP address, and the main router as gateway.

I have found, but not yet tested, something that may work in a thread from 2009. The problem was to override the gateway provided by DHCP; the solution which worked was, from an elevated command prompt:
route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.10.200
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.10.1
(to change gateway from unwanted 192.168.10.200 to 192.168.10.1)
This worked; the poster of the problem added "I added a logon.cmd script [to add the route on each login] using the Local Group Policy Editor in the Computer section (so it would run with Admin privileges)." The Windows versions mentioned were Vista, 7, and 2003.

I'll try this when I next get into debugging (at present I'm using 802.11n mostly, and a cable when I need speed).

Best wishes

0 Ratings
smithbill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 116 of 244

Go to solution

Interesting.  However, your solution of manually 'correcting' the Gateway IP address handed out by DHCP from the HH6 may work on a computer, unfortunately it's not going to work on Smart Phones (such as my Android Pie) or other connecting devices.

Is there a way to get a Command Line Interface to the HH6 to make such tweaks as correcting the Gateway IP address? I know on some devices you can Telnet to them or run scripts, but I haven't found any suggestions that you can do that with the HH6?

If it were possible to 'poke' a corrected Gateway IP into the HH6, then you could leave it operating as a 2nd DHCP server on your network, knowing that the IP configuration it was handing out was actually going to work okay.

Bill

0 Ratings
engeeaitch
Beginner
Message 117 of 244

Go to solution

I concur with smithbill and have had no success with my Smart Hub 6a- it would appear to make a difference as to whether you have a Smart Hub 6a or 6b - all the success stories seem to refer to the 'red WAN port', which would appear to be on the 6b model only.

For info - I managed to upgrade the firmware on my 6a to version SG4B1000E016 (by connecting it to the phone line and leaving it to upgrade overnight), but it made no difference.

For now, my router is confined to the dustbin (or perphaps eBay).

0 Ratings
smithbill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 118 of 244

Go to solution

The one I bought came from eBay for a few £'s so it's probably not really going to be worth your while (although might be better than it going to landfill).

I also bought a TalkTalk HG533, it was equally as ineffective as a Wireless Access Point.

The best 'old' router I've found to act as a WAP is the Virgin Media Superhub 2ac (VMDG490).

0 Ratings
pol098
Aspiring Contributor
Message 119 of 244

Go to solution

Ignore my previous report of a Smart Hub failing to work as an access point - I discovered that an Ethernet cable was faulty (tripped over too often), so it was not speaking to my main router. At the moment (after 2 days) it is working reliably, I don't know if it will continue; it had been falling over in the middle of large file transfers but is OK now; that might have been the cable starting to fail.

My conclusions so far: the Smart Hub Type B (first version, aka Home Hub 6) can be made to work as an access point. It is significantly faster than a Home Hub 5 Type B (HH5B). However, it is a nightmare to get working (in a previous post I mentioned two non-obvious things I did after which it started working - after, but not necessarily because of). The HH5B was very easy to set up and worked faultlessly for about a year. I think I stated the firmware versions in a previous post; firmware can't be updated unless connected to BT Internet.

My advice at present would be: if you want a cheap and good wireless access point, a second-hand HH5 can be set up with a little technical knowledge and works well and reliably.  Unless you're prepared for complex setting up and possible unreliable working, I would avoid the Smart Hub; it can be made to work, possibly reliably, and is faster. Unless you have very fast Internet, the speed of the SH will only be useful for transferring large files; but the HH5 at 5m with no walls is not slow, it transfers at over 20 megabytes/second. Prices on eBay of both types are low.

My experience is with the Type B of both units, and may depend on firmware versions. After a few weeks I may report on reliability.

HTH

0 Ratings
clonk
Contributor
Message 120 of 244

Go to solution

I have a SmartHub 2 as my router with SmartHub Type A, TT HG635, TT HG533 as Ethernet connected WAPs. All work fine. The only fix needed was to configure the SmartHub Type A with separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz / 5 GHz otherwise devices trying to make a 5 GHz connection failed to get an IP address.

0 Ratings