cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mazoyer23
Beginner
Message 91 of 241

Re: BTHub6 (Smart Hub) As WiFi Extender or AP (Access Point) & HH5.

Go to solution

Hello there,

I tried to follow your guidance but I cannot set the IP address of the BT Hub at 192.168.0.xxx.

A dialogue box says its outside range. 

I've been pulling my hair with this. Some forums says it is not possible. Is there something I am missing ?

Let me know if you may PLEASE.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 92 of 241

Go to solution

Why do you want to set it at 192.168.0.xxx, if your primary router uses that subnet it might be easier to change your primary device to 192.168.1.XXX

0 Ratings
Mazoyer23
Beginner
Message 93 of 241

Go to solution
My virgin hub is configured with the 0 address.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 94 of 241

Go to solution

If you can't change the subnet of the BT hub, you will have to change the subnet of the Virgin hub.

0 Ratings
kfarquhar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 95 of 241

Go to solution

@Jayebmx 

I've had a couple of older Netgear "n" and a Belkin N300 routers set up in my house linked to my main router for quite a while now. All working fine but I want to replace them with "AC" wifi so bought a BT Smart Hub (HH6) to try that out.

Tried your guide the other day and after a few attempts including your update, I got it all working - or at least I thought I did!!

The LAN setup all works fine. The problem I have is that only some of my devices will connect to the Wifi channels.

My older Android work phone has been able to connect from the start. My Samsung S8 phone connects sometimes but will often get a "Failed to get IP Address" as does my iPad 4. An older Samsung tablet gets connected randomly also. I've tried a spare laptop with a wireless connection and that seems to work pretty consistently.

I found out that the Belkin router had its firewall still on (firewall is also ON on my main router). Switched that off thinking 2 firewalls might be causing an issue - but it didn't seem make any difference.

The HH6 LAN 4 port is being fed by cable from the LAN ports of the Belkin which is being fed by cable from my main router.

Looking at the Logs on the HH6 it seems to reporting that an IP address is issued and teh dvice connected but then disconnected 2-3 seconds later. It's the main router that's acting as the DHCP server and if off on the other routers/APs.

If it's this "chain" effect that's causing the problem I have a 4 port gigabit switch I could reaplce for the Belkin (with the HH6 working I don't need a wireless router in the same part f the house - the switch would just feed the HH6 and my TV, set-top box, AV receiver).

Any thoughts?

Is the HH6 more prone to problems as an AP than the HH5. I can borrow an old HH5 prehaps and try the setup on that router.

Regards

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 96 of 241

Go to solution

The Belkin will only be acting as a switch so shouldn't cause a problem. Make sure you have turned off Smart setup and split the wifi bands on the Hub6. Have to admit a HH6 wouldn't have been my choice of device to buy as a wireless access point if I hadn't already got a spare one lying about.

0 Ratings
kfarquhar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 97 of 241

Go to solution

@licquorice

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 98 of 241

Go to solution

Smart setup is independant of smart wireless. I would recommend setting the wireless channels manually and keep them different to the main router and also different to the Belkin if that is still transmitting wireless.

0 Ratings
kfarquhar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 99 of 241

Go to solution
thanks will try that
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 100 of 241

Go to solution

Might be worth trying connecting the HH6 directly to the master hub temporarily just to eliminate it being a problem with the Belkin in between.

The HH6 does seem to be more problematical than the HH5 when used as a WAP.

0 Ratings