cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user85uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 231 of 241

Re: BTHub6 (Smart Hub) As WiFi Extender or AP (Access Point) & HH5.

Go to solution

Has anyone else experienced issues with Internet drop outs on their WiFi using the access point? My WiFi signal is strong but the Internet hangs until I disconnect and reconnect to the WiFi. Annoying as it happens 3 to 4 times a day.

Wondering if it is the tplink firewall adapters.. Not sure how to check

0 Ratings
68395E1FE4A84FC2C711
Aspiring Contributor
Message 232 of 241

Go to solution

I think the HH reboot periodically if there is no DSL connection.

This is a "feature" of the newer hubs.

I ran a test with a network monitor (used a ping flow in Node-Red every 3 seconds) and it's clear the HH was rebooting periodically. On inspection, it's the firmware - makes sense as its intended use is a router modem. Shame there is no option to disable the modem or this rebooting

0 Ratings
68395E1FE4A84FC2C711
Aspiring Contributor
Message 233 of 241

Go to solution

Not sure what firewall adapters are but if you mean the mains networking units from TP-Link this is unlikely to be the cause.

0 Ratings
Graeme60
Beginner
Message 234 of 241

Go to solution

Try the thread going for 5 years now! I have been trying to get this set up for the past couple of hours without any joy. I have built a garden room and run cat6 from the main router in the house to the outhouse. Followed the instructions to the letter (I think!) but no joy. The cable is good. When it’s plugged into the main router, if I plug the other end (in the outhouse), it works perfectly as a wired connection. Need a wi-if connection though. I have just had FTTP installed so will this make a difference to any of the settings that I need to change on the hub6 in the outhouse?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 235 of 241

Go to solution

No, the settings are the same whatever the main hub is connected to.

It should be straight forward to configure the Hub6 as a WAP, the Hub5 and Smart Hub2 work just fine, don't see why the Hub6 should be any different.

The only configuration you need to do on the Hub6 is to give it an address outside of the DHCP range of the main hub  (e.g 192.168.1.10) turn off Smart Setup and DHCP on the Hub6 and connect one of its LAN ports to a LAN port on the main hub. Maake sure you are saving any configuration changes.

0 Ratings
Graeme60
Beginner
Message 236 of 241

Go to solution

Thanks but done that. Thought it was all going too smoothly. Renaming the hub seemed easy as was changing the wireless access key for the Hub 6 in the outhouse. Can obviously connect to the hub but the hub is not connected to the internet. Strange as when I take the plug out of the hub and put it into my laptop I have wired internet connection…….I’ll go over it again just in case 🤞

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 237 of 241

Go to solution

Why have you renamed the hub and wireless key?

0 Ratings
Graeme60
Beginner
Message 238 of 241

Go to solution

Yes….oddly, google will load up, Wikipedia also but no apps connect - eg bbc sport 

0 Ratings
68395E1FE4A84FC2C711
Aspiring Contributor
Message 239 of 241

Go to solution
You might be seeing cached content. Best to have a separate browser and clear the cache or at the command line ping google.com
0 Ratings
Graeme60
Beginner
Message 240 of 241

Go to solution

All seems to be OK now…..🤞. I have just posted on a sky forum but perhaps someone here will have an answer. I’ve run another cat6 cable from sky Q box in living room to outhouse for use with a mini box.  The Sky Q box connects to the hub in the house via WiFi. I take it that I can connect the mini box in garden room to the sky Q box in the house via an Ethernet connection (likely disabling WiFi on mini box) 

0 Ratings