cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 21 of 241

Re: BTHub6 (Smart Hub) As WiFi Extender or AP (Access Point) & HH5.

Go to solution

@matthewthurlow Hi mate, 

Imo, i dont have the SSID's the same as the clients should stay connected as @smf22 stated.

Also i don't know how well they will perform, due to the fact that it will be two physical routers each broadcasting the same SSID, so in the past ive encountered devices picking the same network up twice, for example if the SSID was called 'Oranges' devices will pick up 'Oranges' and rename the other router to 'Oranges 2' they arent roaming so you dont just pick up the router as you move around, and even if you did you would have to enter the password every time for someone to pick up and connect to that SSID. and more than likely if they still have a connection to the main router, then they aren't going to switch over to another router unless the wireless signal drops.

I know NETGEAR do extender modes on their routers, where you can link the two routers together by MAC address to work in roaming as you get better signal from one you will connect to that automatically, but thats router binding which isnt supported by HomeHubs as they require MAC AP bidings. Also requires two NETGEAR Routers on the same network to be wired, (Wireless extenders with ethernet should trick the router into thinking its wired if it receivs the MAC address correctly so you dont have to hard wire the router)

Dont get me wrong, BT's equipment is more than adequate and powerfull enough for a commercial users, but they are pretty rubbish when coming down to LAN configuration, if you're thinking anything like that then id suggest upgrading to NETGEAR setups or other brands.

Im all honestly the Router binding setup you are talking about, i dont know much about it, but i could probably figure out how to set them up with some research Smiley Very Happy 

Netgear MAC AP Bindings: Click Here

-Jaye.

Hope this somehow helped in some way haha!

0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 22 of 241

Go to solution

Also if you are trying it with the HH3, try using the WAN socket instead of the LAN4 socket, IMO i don't know if the HH3 works with this method, HH4, HH5 A&B, HH6 A&B, all work with this method as i have tested them.
-Jaye.

0 Ratings
GazzaT73
Beginner
Message 23 of 241

Go to solution
Hi, I have done all the steps listed in this guide, however seem to be having some problems. The AP wants everything that connects to it to have a static IP address, which is then the same IP address as issues by the main router handling the DCHP. This is leading me to be unable to jump from one connection to the other.

I can easily move from the AP to the other routers wireless without any issues, but if I am connected to the main router and try to connect to the AP I either get an error saying annoy receive and IP address, or some devices get issues a 168 address with no Internet access.

This is solved I turn wifi off for a while on the device and then connect to the access point and it runs completely fine. I'm wondering if there is a setting I have wrong somewhere to allow a DCHP allocated IP address on the AP so I get a different IP address when moving across the routers and avoid the wait. I know this is how other APs or extenders work so I'm sure it's just something I've missed.

Thanks!
0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 24 of 241

Go to solution
Sorry for the slow reply, try and folow the guides and photos users and i have supplied, other users have managed to get this working which i would suggest looking at your primary router configuration.
0 Ratings
Cm1977
Beginner
Message 25 of 241

Go to solution
I seem to be having a similar problem as GazzaT73. I can connect initially but as soon as I connect to the main router again I can no longer connect to the second. Just hangs on obtaining IP address. Both are hh6. Any help appreciated
0 Ratings
Pjhuk
Beginner
Message 26 of 241

Go to solution

I'm also having the same issues with the AP only allocating static IP addresses. Perhaps someone could have a look at their main router configuration and post a similar guide as before with the AP guide. Something is definately not right with my set up. Have managed to get HH5's and HH3's working flawlessly as AP/extenders before, but this Smart Hub has me stumped.

0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 27 of 241

Go to solution

@Cm1977 @Pjhuk

Try and compare your settings with mine (the screenshots i posted above)

This isn't a 'official' method, only one that i have found working, if you are not assigning DHCP properly, it indicates a problem either with the device, or your router setup. Make sure you have read all the previous messages above and check your configuration.

In rare circumstances you could always exclude the AP off the main network by giving it a IP address of something out of the scope of your main router, but remember to statically assign the address if you need to make changes.

Also make sure you are connected to 'PORT 4' on the router, as other ports (In my experience) do not work.

Please also bear in mind your network configuration and environment depends on how well this method works, if all else fails reset both the routers and try again.

I currently run the AP off a Windows Server 2016 TMG Server, with Active Directory Domain, and it works flawlessly. (The Server acting as a router handing out IP addresses) if you want a tutorial on that then please let me know.

try what i have suggested and get back to me, thanks.

-Jaye.

0 Ratings
trizone13
Beginner
Message 28 of 241

Go to solution

Hey, thanks for the step great work. My problem is I have just switched to TalkTalk and they have the worst router ever. I tried to do your steps on my HH6 but is does not work. My other HH5 works flawlessly with TT, but HH6 just don't want to play. Must admit HH6 is the best ISP router I have ever used. Any ideas or suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Cm1977
Beginner
Message 29 of 241

Go to solution
Hi Kaye. Sorry for the late reply. I've tried again following your instructions to the t but still working t connect. Guess I'll have to give up.
0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 30 of 241

Go to solution

@Cm1977@trizone13 Sorry about that.

If you can, take off your OLD routers from the main socket, and plug in the BT HH6 (you may have to configure the broadband username and password in the settings) and see if it connects to the internet. Keep it plugged in overnight, and it should download the latest firmware as there is a update to the firmware that was released, i dont know what was included in the update, but maybe that has something to do with the issues you are having.

Im not too sure if the HH6 will connect to your ISP, it all depends and you would need to try that yourself.

Also could i ask what version of the HH6 you are using, ig you look on the bottom, is it the Type A or the Type B you are using? (Not too sure again if the Type B is out yet, but worth pointing out) 

If you still cant get the issue resolved, then i will probably make another post as a update with a YouTube video to explain all the steps involved in getting the router connected.

Meanwhile check your router you are connected into, check all the ports and try port 4 on the main router you are connecting to, some routers have port 4 as gigabit, and the other routers as 100mbps.

If you still cant get it to work, ill factory reset my HH6 and re-do the tutorial and hopefully that will help some of the users experiencing problems connecting and WiFi problems.

Thanks, Jaye.

0 Ratings