Well I thought I knew my way around a network and a router well enough to get this working but all I got was a connection to the wireless network but no Internet. Finding this guide was, I hoped, going to get me sorted out.
I have two HH6 routers at opposite ends of the house connected by CAT5 ethernet and have followed these instructions to no avail. Still no internet.
I used to be with PlusNet and then I was using two DLink routers with one acting as an access point and it all worked perfectly.
I would rather use the HH6s because they do seem to be better routers than my old DLink and more importantly they provide Gigagbit ethernet for my wired devices.
Anyway, I tried putting my old DLink access point back on the network but that didn't work either. Easy connection to wireless but still no internet.
I am now wondering if there is some setting or other that needs to be changed on the main HH6 that is connected to the line coming in?
Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
Hi, thanks for the reply!
Yes, users are experiencing problems getting this to work, i think its mainly due to how my configuration is, i have a Windows Server that hands out DHCP.
Once i have the time, probably when BT come out and switch me over to Business internet (1st June) i will make another tutorial, that is better tested. Im not sure if it is how my network is configured that is causing issues with other users, or maybe a firmware update has changed the way the HomeHubs communicate.
Like i said, i do apologise, and ill be making another topic ASAP when i am free to make one that ill test to make sure its working.
Maybe you can have a play around and see if you can get them working, if you haven't read the replies, then be sure to read them as users have had the same issue and some have resolved the issue.
All the best, Jaye.
Hey, no need to apologise! Just seeing your OP at least told me I wasn't alone in having issues, I've been going nuts for the last few weeks trying to sort this out. Actually it's worse than that because I had both routers using the same SSID and of course never realised that all the time our devices weren't connecting to the internet it was because we were connected to the second HH. I spent too long looking for some othe rproblems with my network that weren't there. Another good reason for using different SSIDs!
I've read through all the responses and have all the settings as shown in post 9 (which seems to be the same as the OP apart from the authoritative DHCP?).
Anyway, thanks for coming back to respond to me, I'll keep poking around and if all else fails I'll wait to see if you manage to get round to any further testing in June.
UPDATE: I have messed about with the DLink router as an access point and it now works. Unfortunately I changed too many things at once so I don't know what it was that was wrong but it does eliminate the main HH6 router as an issue.
The problem definitely lies with using a second HH6 as the access point.
I'm working from a wireless point of view now but I'd still love a HH6 solution so that I can get the benefit of the Gigabyte ethernet.
(I could try turning off the wireless on the HH6 and use it simply as a switch with the DLink AP connected to it. I might try that but it does seem a bit cumbersome.)