cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 51 of 241

Re: BTHub6 (Smart Hub) As WiFi Extender or AP (Access Point) & HH5.

Go to solution

@Klogg @Hornedowg @Liam_ @the_zip_master

Hey guys, 

Just made a new tutorial, so if you are having issues still with the HH6, then follow this and it should work. I've yet to find a flaw with it, so any issues etc should be posted in the new forum.

@licquorice  @Keith_Beddoe Could you edit my first message and spoiler the current text in that message and move the new one to this thread?

Thanks.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/UPDATED-How-to-setup-HH6-as-Wireless-AP-or-Switc...

0 Ratings
Klogg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 241

Go to solution

That's great, thanks.

I take a look, try it out and report back.

It probably won't be for a couple of weeks though.

0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 53 of 241

Go to solution
Sounds good!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 241

Go to solution

@Jayebmx wrote:

@licquorice  @Keith_Beddoe Could you edit my first message and spoiler the current text in that message and move the new one to this thread?

Thanks.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/UPDATED-How-to-setup-HH6-as-Wireless-AP-or-Switc...

@JayebmxI'm afraid only mods and CLs have the ability to do that, I am neither.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 55 of 241

Go to solution
CL's cannot edit posts only the mods and the OP up to an hour can edit
0 Ratings
ralphrmartin
Contributor
Message 56 of 241

Go to solution

Some advice for those of you who are failing to get an IP address from the hub acting as an access point:

- follw the instructions in general, EXCEPT

- make both hubs act as DHCP servers

- and make sure that their ranges do NOT overlap

E.g.

main hub serves addresses 192.168.1.10   - 192.168.1.100

AP hub serves addresses    192.168.1.101 - 192.168.1.200

FWIW, I made the first one authoritative, and the AP one not.

Of course, your devices will get different addresses as they move around, but then devices which need a fixed address, like printers, should only connect to one hub and not move around.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 57 of 241

Go to solution

There is something fundamently wrong with the BT hubs if that works. There should only ever be one DHCP server on a subnet and the second hub should just be acting as a switch/WAP. Regardless of which hub the device is connected to, it should be the gateway hub that allocates addresses.

0 Ratings
ralphrmartin
Contributor
Message 58 of 241

Go to solution

Thre's nothing wrong with multiple servers in the same subnet, as long as they have different ranges. The way DHCP works is that a device (computer, phone, etc) makes a request for an IP address, and any DHCP servers say "I can give you one". The device then asks one of them for an address. There's no problem with any of this as long as the multiple DHCP servers don't try to allocate addresses from the same range. Each one can allocate addresses from part of a subnet. See the Wikipedia article on DHCP, which explains how multiple servers can make offers, and the client only accepts one.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 59 of 241

Go to solution

What gateway address is the second hub issuing to the devices via DHCP, its own address or the the address of the first hub?

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 60 of 241

Go to solution

@ralphrmartin wrote:

Thre's nothing wrong with multiple servers in the same subnet, as long as they have different ranges.

In the example above I am assuming the AP DHCP is giving out its own IP address as the gateway instead of the main router so will devices that get this gateway be able to connect to the internet?  Will the AP router re-route packets to the main router correctly?  I would have thought that the AP DHCP server should have the default gateway set to the main router not itself but I don't believe you can change the DHCP default gateway setting on the HomeHubs?

0 Ratings