cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ralphrmartin
Contributor
Message 61 of 241

Re: BTHub6 (Smart Hub) As WiFi Extender or AP (Access Point) & HH5.

Go to solution

Devices that get their DHCP address from the main hub see that as the router.

Devices that get their DNCP address from the secondary hub presumably see that as their router, but it knows its upstream connection is the first hub,so it all "just works" as expected.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 62 of 241

Go to solution

Can you check on the devices please to see what address they are served as the gateway address. I still can't see how this works. If it gets the secondary hub's address as its gateway there will be no route to the internet and I can't see how it would get an IP address from one hub but the gateway of the other.

0 Ratings
ralphrmartin
Contributor
Message 63 of 241

Go to solution

Well, it worked yesterday, but after a reboot today, it has stopped working. Furthermore, I cant even access the control panel of the secondary hub through its own IP address when connected to the main hub. 

Earlier, I noted I had to wait several minutes for the thing to work at all when NOT using a DHCP server.

I'm beginning to think this piece of kit work in a non-deterministic way - perhaps because of some race condition...

0 Ratings
bocajegap
Beginner
Message 64 of 241

Go to solution
@the_zip_master I also have a Virgin Superhub 2 as my main router. I can connect to the smart hub and everything works. However, when I then connect to the superhub 2, I cannot reconnect back to the bt smart hub. Anyone know why?
0 Ratings
TommyZep
Beginner
Message 65 of 241

Go to solution

Hi,

I followed your instructions to the letter, but for some reason I cannot connect to the internet via the slave. The main laptop that I worked on is ok, but I cannot connect any other device to the internet through the slave. Both devices are new BT Smart Hub 6's.

My connections are;

Broadband connection to main hub

Lan 1 on main hub - Lan 4 on slave

lan 1 on slave - Main Laptop

Currently using main laptop with wireless connection to slave.

I would greatly appreciate your help in solving this issue.

Many thanks

Tom

0 Ratings
Rodb1972
Beginner
Message 66 of 241

Go to solution
Hi
Does that mean I can use my hh6 as a modem for my Netgear r7500?
0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 67 of 241

Go to solution

Not really, Hubs don't have a modem only mode.  You would end up with double NAT.  Best to get a proper modem.  A used Openreach from the auction site or either a Netgear DM200 or DrayTek Vigor 130.  The Netgear is a router that can be configured as a modem only.  The DrayTek is a pure modem, needs no configuration and works right out of the box.

0 Ratings
jpm777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 68 of 241

Go to solution

Hi

If it helps, I have an article explaining how to turn any BT Hub into an extra wireless access point, from a Home Hub 1.0 to the HH6 (Smart Hub).  I don't think links are allowed in this forum, but Google "Reuse a spare BT Home Hub as a Wireless Access Point" and it will be the first result returned (unixetc).

Jim.

0 Ratings
ken0062
Beginner
Message 69 of 241

Go to solution

Trying to use smart hub as a WiFi extender after leaving BT and switching to plusnet, hub was working fine before switch now when setting up as per instructions on this post it apears the WiFi does not switch on ie No SSID visible even after a complete factory reset and router not connected to the network, there are no SSID's visible on any of my wireless devices.

Is this just my hub or will the WiFi not enable itself if the hub is not on a BT broadband system.

0 Ratings
smouser
Beginner
Message 70 of 241

Go to solution

I have spent countless of hours to get this to work, everything will be set up correctly but there is no internet access on the smart hub, reboot the router and boom everything works.

It is a hit and miss.

It will work for one day then the internet will just go down for the smart hub which I use as the extender. Reboot the smart hub and all is well for a few hours or a day or so. I have come to the conclusion that unfortunately the smart hub CANNOT reliably used as an wifi extender. 

0 Ratings