cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 71 of 241

Re: BTHub6 (Smart Hub) As WiFi Extender or AP (Access Point) & HH5.

Go to solution

Use a proper wireless access point instead.

See Using a TP Link WA701ND or WA801ND (better) as a wireless access point.

0 Ratings
Carine
Beginner
Message 72 of 241

Go to solution

Thank you so much for helping us lesser gods! I have the following problem: I have 2 Smart Hub6, one of those is my main router and one I would like to have as an extender. When I using your link http://hub.home/ I end up at my main router Hub manager and I can't seem to change the settings of the extender. I am suppose to see the info of the extender, right? What am I doing wrong? I also find the instructions under 11) slightly confusing - could you enlighten me please? TIA

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 73 of 241

Go to solution

That's because  http://hub.home/ will resolve to 192.168.1.254, the address of your main hub. To access the slave just enter the IP address you gave it in your address bar of your browser.

0 Ratings
MartinB1957
Beginner
Message 74 of 241

Go to solution

Sorry for being an idiot but it doesn’t seem clear to me which of the two hubs you are referring to at each stage - the originally hub which is ‘generating’ the WiFi or the second hub being used as the ‘extender’. I currently have a ‘spare’ Hub 6 and would love to try this. Cheers.  

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 75 of 241

Go to solution

Simply put, there are no changes to be made on the main hub all configuration is done on the slave.

0 Ratings
Danlap1978
Beginner
Message 76 of 241

Go to solution
I've changed internet provider to sky (Not sure if this is important) my new hub up is 192.168.0.1 with a dhcp range of 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 what up address should I change my old router to and why does it keep saying invalid start and end address range?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 77 of 241

Go to solution

Try posting on the Sky user forum, as you are now a Sky customer.

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

This forum is for BT Retail customes and cannot help with other ISP configurations.

0 Ratings
smouser
Beginner
Message 78 of 241

Go to solution
As I posted before - this just is not a reliable way of extending your wifi. Believe me I tried, with more than one excess BT router, I wanted it to work badly and while it might work some days or sometimes even weeks, they all lose connection or have issues at some point. I have moved to a mesh wifi network and now have wifi over my whole property without any reliability issues. It just works. I would reccomend you try the same to save yourself a lot of time and headache. I bought the Tenda MW6 mesh system but for most people the Tenda MW3 system will work perfectly and for the sake of £80 I would say is worth it. Mesh networking got the advantage that it will "hand off" to router with a stronger signal where in contrast a device will try to hang on to a router signal when poor even if there is a stronger signal nearby. Simply put mesh networking have seamless switching.
0 Ratings
sinong
Beginner
Message 79 of 241

Go to solution

You can install openwrt on BT home hub type A. See the ones selling on ebay. Works great. It even support nordvpn and you can attach it to the main router.

I have got 4 routers in my home for different purposes. BT home hub 5 is very well made and still works great although released years ago. HH6 is rubbish.

0 Ratings
rdrussel
Beginner
Message 80 of 241

Go to solution

I have smart hub as main router and another as slave AP. I have followed instructions but as device switches from primary to slave it is connecting but not always pulling the ip of the router so no internet access.

Is it possible for this setup to work properly or do I need to find an alternative solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThanksImage-1.jpg

0 Ratings