cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

I was just wondering if anyone can help me with this question I have a BTHub 6 which we are currently on. Our broadband package is BTHalo3 if I purchase a smart hub 2 from someone else without upgrading with BT will that smart hub 2 still work ok on my current broadband package cause I know to get the smart hub 2 from BT you have to upgrade to BTHalo3+ I think it’s called but without upgrading through BT will that smart hub 2 work 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: BTHub6

Go to solution

I personally think you are better staying with the Hub6.

I think you can buy a BT modem from anywhere and it links to the account associated with the socket it connects to.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

I have no idea why anybody would waste money buying a BT SH2. If you are going to buy a router at least buy a decent third party one.

To answer the original question, yes, a SH2 will work with your existing package.

Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @Tommy42 ,

Thanks for posting. The short answer is yes, it will work. Here's the set up guide  should you decide to go ahead with the purchase.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Yes it will work. But it has a major flaw.

Although  it's dual band you can't separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSiDs. It means the it's impossible to choose which band a device connects to. If you're lucky your device will prefer 5Ghz and will connect to that but more often than not your device ends up connecting to the extremely slow and congested 2.4Ghz band.

While the hub is pretty good in other ways like connection is stable etc I wouldn't recommend it for that 5Ghz issue alone.

Message 6 of 16

Go to solution
So will a modem work with my bthub 6 if I connect it to one of the yellow Ethernet ports I know it won’t be faster as we are only on standard broadband 5/12Mbps but if I can get a more stable connection without it dropping out I did get some BT mini connectors they are ok times but not a consistent connection
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

If your internet is dropping out - then any router you use will have the same issue.

You need to get BT to fix it.

@Tommy42wrote:
So will a modem work with my bthub 6 if I connect it to one of the yellow Ethernet ports I know it won’t be faster as we are only on standard broadband 5/12Mbps but if I can get a more stable connection without it dropping out I did get some BT mini connectors they are ok times but not a consistent connection

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
They have been out and they said we are getting a speed of 19Mbps which when I do a speed test on ookla I’m lucky if it hit 15Mbps at times I’m getting 11.2Mbps if I’m lucky I’ll get 14.4Mbps but like I said our package is only standard speed 5/12Mbps FTTP ain’t available in our area atm so that’s why we only have standard BB
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
What about them BT Wi-Fi disc’s will they be able to give me a more stable connection???
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

If the Internet itself is dropping out then no - you need to get BT to fix it.

Is it just your WiFi or the Internet itself? Does Ethernet continue to work?

The speedtest they use is to your router - not within the house.

@Tommy42wrote:
What about them BT Wi-Fi disc’s will they be able to give me a more stable connection???

0 Ratings