Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BTWH WiFi steering

Just pondering if someone can expand on steering

My understanding is that if steering is enabled (which it is by default) the BTWH monitors the discs and devices and basically steers devices to the best disc based on factors such as signal, bandwidth, 2.4 or 5ghz and/or other factors or all of them?

My BTWH WiFi is stable but I am thinking that I dont really need the BTWH to steer devices but if I disable it what are the the negatives?  I assume my devices such as my iPhone will then dictate when to switch to another disc rather than being forced to?

Reason I am looking to do this is my Xbox1 when on BTWH WiFi will lose its connection briefly and reconnect, not good if youre streaming NowTV or Plex which I do.  I assume this is due to steering as I will see the xbox change from 2.4 to 5ghz or change disc even though signal strenght is high and the connection is 100meg+ as when i enable WiFi on my router (different SSID) the xbox will remain connected and stable but has a weak slow connection.  

Currently the xbox is connected via ethernet (and also is stable if connected to the ethernet on a disc) and is rock solid so not an issue yet but i may be relocating it and will need it to connect via WiFi. 

I dont want to use Powerlines before someone suggests that as a solution.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
G_O_L_D
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: BTWH WiFi steering

have you tried FORGETTING old network so its kinda forced to stay on the BTWH disc ?
0 Ratings
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Sorry I probably didnt explain very well.

I have forgotton all other WiFi networks on all other devices including the XBOX1 and they all connect to the BTWH.  Its if i re-enable my old wifi network on my router and then re-input the password etc that the xbox is stable via WiFi, i then forget that network, disable it on the router and reconnect the xbox to the BTWH via wifi , issues then start again.

The XBOX re-connects to the BTWH fine but even a little glitch will cause streaming issues on NowTV and Plex.   My XBOX is being steered from 2.4ghz to 5ghz generally (sometimes another disc but i think its the band steering causing the issue) if i look at the app on my phone.  Most devices such as my Apple TV 4K handle steering without issue as i never see Plex or NowTV streaming issues when on WiFi, although the Apple TV generally stays on the same disc at 5ghz, 99.99% of the time

The pain with the xbox1 is you cant force it to connect via 2.4 or 5ghz only, something owners have requested since it came out.

The discs location isnt the issue either although the XBOX is sort of inbetween two of them, but gets a good signal from both but then this is probably whats causing it to steer more often.  Thing is i cant relocate the discs as again i have devices using the ethernet ports on them in the locations.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
G_O_L_D
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

are you able to block the device (XBOX) from dependent discs?

so it only hooks up to one of the stronger signals? this might stop it swapping between the two midway through something, especially if you online gaming like COD.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

You can only block devices from the entire BTWH system, not individual discs unfortunalty.  I personally would like to see more options available on the BTWH regarding 2.4 and 5ghz setup. 

0 Ratings