cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheSeasider
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Back hauling Discs

Ok Then, I live in a Bungalow so the Discs good old BT have sent are "working" (To a Point) .....

I was considering "Back Hauling" each Disc via an Ethernet cable.. But... Having 4 or5 Cables running into my Smart hub would look (quite Frankly) Ridiculous ..... 

However, I could.. (I think) install an Ethernet (1 port in / 8 Port out)  hub in the loft  .. By Connecting the "IN" to one of the ports on my Smart Hub & then "Splitting" it (at the Ethernet Hub) in the loft to each individual Disc ..

Please see Pic below for what I had in mind >>>> 

QUESTION .... Is this feasable ?? / Would it Work ????

Your Thoughts & Help would be most welcome ..

Regards 

Keithhub.jpgSomething like this .. Perhaps

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Back hauling Discs

Are your discs black (BT Complete Wi-Fi) or white ( Whole Home Wi-Fi ) ? if White (Whole Home) then it should work. Can I ask why are you considering Ethernet cable over Wi-Fi backhaul return ?
0 Ratings
TheSeasider
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Yeah, I seem to have really reallt bad Wifi in my house .. no matter how many discs I install I get "next to nothing" coverage .. I was sat with my mobile at my desk yesterday (No more that 4 FEET from my "Smart Hub 2" & I ran a speed test & got 2 (YEAH TWO!!) Mgb on my mobile ..
To tell the truth I'm getting Sick to fed up with BT I spent nearly an hour on a Video Link call with them on Weds they say "Everything Should work" ....But "Everything DOES NOT BLOODY WORK!!!"

My "System" works on a "Extension Lead" from my main socket to under my desk (Installed by BT) Weds Night I had an Epiphany I disconnected my Router & plugged it in at the main socket ... Ran the speed test I GOT 8mgb !!! ...(At that point I gave up & went to bed, but it was bugging me so I got up again & (after re-connecting the "Extension Lead" to the main socket) re-Ran the speed test ....

Yer know what it popped up at ??? ......... 43Mgb !!! (WHY ???) I recon I had a "Dud" connection at the main socket ...

Now they are sending a "CUBE ENG" out on Sat morning to "Sort things out" .. am I hopeful ???? Nawww not a snowballs chance in hell !!
I think what annoys me the most is my Son (who lives about 1/2 mile from me) & is paying for "Standard Infinity" is roving along at 67Mgb (Incoming) I'm paying fer this "Infinity two all singing & dancing thing" & the BEST I have ever got is 45Mgb (Incoming) ..
Why should I pay £70 odd Quid a month fer 45 Mgb & hes paying £29.99 & getting 67Mgb .. THIS HAS GOT TO BE WRONG SOMEWHERE !!! ..

So the Ethernet "backhaul" solution was thought up to get at least "SOME" coverage in my Wifes Office  ...

BTW They are BLACK DISCS (Complete Wifi ect ect) ..

Regards 

Keith

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

The Black discs are connected to a BT service , See https://www.bt.com/broadband/complete-wifi/
As to the Broadband Connection to your home the BT CUBE ENG should get the best speed to the point of entry in to your home.

My advice is the HUB is connected to this incoming point with the internal wiring (if you have any) disconnected.
Your internet speed will only ever be as fast as the incoming point.
Try testing your internet speed using an cabled device like a laptop if possible from the HUB/Router.
I am assuming "My "System" works on a "Extension Lead" is power and not telephone cables ?
0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

In my opinion you will need a managed switch soething like a tplink tl-sg108e or 105e, they dont NEED configuring but you can via a web interface.  Using a standard hub rather than a switch isnt very bandwidth effective and you could have issues with certain devices when using a simple hub. 

Price difference between a simple hub and a 105e is probably £10-£15

I run my discs over ethernet backhaul, all works perfect.  If i run over WiFi backhaul the discs either periodically drop to 2.4ghz backhaul, to get a stable 5ghz backhaul they almost need to be on top of each other in my house (solid brick walls etc)

I am a little confused with your internet speed results.  WiFi coverage and actual internet speeds are two very different issues.   Sounds like you have dodgy internal wiring or sockets or both or a broadband fault.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

How did the CUBE visit go ?
If you are still having problems have look at "Practical tips for improving your broadband speed at : https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds
But if its Black discs it has some guarantees, If one Wi-Fi Disc doesn’t give you a strong signal in every room, BT will send up to two more free of charge.
0 Ratings