cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 3

Black WiFi discs not many devices connecting to them

I have a smart hub 2 and 2 black WiFi discs. Going onto hub home page to see network structure/devices etc you can see the devices connected to the WiFi discs and not many seem to be, and ones which should be with the location.

So for example I have smart TV, Apple TV and the disc in the same room and next to it yet they don't connect to the disc but show connected to smart hub.

I know it connects to the strongest signal but surely the disc in the same room is the whole point, or this should be the strongest?
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Black WiFi discs not many devices connecting to them

Hi, what you're seeing is perfectly normal.  Your devices will most likely get faster speed if they can connect directly to the home hub (one less wi-fi hop).

Because the disc needs to be in good wi-fi range of your hub, any devices close to your disc will also be in range of the hub. So they'll most likely decide they'll get better performance by connecting to hub directly.

You should consider discs more like stepping stones into the next room where there's no wi-fi, rather than an access point for devices in the same room.

All this of course depends on exact layout of the room and where the disc and devices are located, but hope this explains.

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Black WiFi discs not many devices connecting to them

Thanks for reply. I seem more hoping they would give better speed as well.

I can't understand that literally sitting next to a disc and it still chintzy to the smart hub 2 a floor down and room across though.

I tested speed, admittedly not precise, just using the speedtest app, and getting same speed for an Apple TV that I was hoping would get better.

Also a smart TV that I think is the TV poor software fault that keeps dropping and forgetting it's WiFi password, was hoping a disc very near it may help, although as I've said maybe the TV
0 Ratings