Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 31

Re: Brand new Smarthub 2 will not accept default password

Go to solution

The disc has to be returned to BT, if you stop using the complete wifi service, otherwise you will be charged for it.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 31

Go to solution

They would both transmit the wireless signal which would let you connect to the router but if the router is not connected via your phone line you would not get from the router to the Internet. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 31

Go to solution

@grajay wrote:

I don't understand how a powered up hub but not connected to the broadband cable will be transmitting a wifi signal - but if you say it does then who am I to disagree? 

Meanwhile this UnsmartHub and it's disc friend is going in the bin, and good riddance to them both

Because the wifi signal is totally independent of any internet connection, it is generated by the hub.

0 Ratings
oldguy
Beginner
Message 24 of 31

Go to solution

I have just purchased a brand new Smarthub2 and had an identical problem!

Scenario as folows:

New hub set-up and connected perfectly to internet and devices etc

Was able to access Router for majority of info until tried the default password which did not work.

Noticed the Admin password for the previous Smarthub1 showing!

Checked the Wireless Network Name the new smarthub was connected to and was a completely unknown one!

Entered correct network name from Router rear ticket and cleared all old network names etc.

Retried default Admin password and went straight in without any problems!

I'm wondering if some of the previously reported problems re default password not being accepted could be the same reason as mine and that the Router was working perfectly ok but connected to the wrong BT network?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 31

Go to solution

I don't understand where you have said "Checked the Wireless Network Name the new smarthub was connected to and was a completely unknown one!"

The BT Smarthub does not connect to a network, it forms your network and all devices connect to it either through an Ethernet cable or by wireless.

If you have wireless powerline adaptors it is possible that your "old" Smarthub's SSid was still being broadcast by them and that is why you saw the "old" name and when you changed it to the correct SSid of your new Smarthub you were able to connect to the Admin pages.

0 Ratings
oldguy
Beginner
Message 26 of 31

Go to solution

PerhapsI have not described checking network name etc precisely enough-what I was referring to is the list of Wireless network names you see when checking the Win 10' Network and Internet settings' which shows what your router is connected to.

In my case the new hub was shown as not being connected to its correct network name-this was altered to the correct one as shown on the Smarthub rear info ticket.

After doing this all passwords etc worked instantly.

make of it what you will but in my case it cured the admin password problem!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 31

Go to solution

I think you are misunderstanding what you are looking at.

That list doesn't 'show what your router is connected to', it shows a list of possible wifi sources both past and present that your laptop is/has been connected to.

Obviously you need to connect to the right hub with the right password to connect.

oldguy
Beginner
Message 28 of 31

Go to solution

Many thanks for pointing this out licquorice.-this is what I was trying to explain!

Accepting all this it does explain the scenario I had i.e the new hub was not connected to the correct wifi source and hence the password problem.

I'm still rather puzzled though as to how the new hub was able to connect to this 'incorrect' wi fi source and operate almost perfectly-apart from password problem-does this make sense?

Many thanks for your most helpful reply. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 31

Go to solution

Sorry but you still not got it.

Each hub/ router broadcast it's own name SSID and this in normally shown on back of hub. You then connect your devices to this SSID name and need to use the wireless/administration password for your hub. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 31

Go to solution

@oldguy wrote:

Accepting all this it does explain the scenario I had i.e the new hub was not connected to the correct wifi source and hence the password problem.

The hub doesn't connect to the wifi, the hub IS the wifi, your computer connects to the wifi.

0 Ratings