cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Award90210
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Bt whole home WiFi allowing BT Fon

We recently bought the whole home WiFi tri pack and now it’s allowing anyone to connect via bt fon (for an hourly/daily fee) and its using our WiFi. How can I deactivate this? I’m sure BT have made it secure, but I just don’t want random neighbours being able to use our WiFi. Plus, we don’t have unlimited WiFi.
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Bt whole home WiFi allowing BT Fon

It doesn't count towards your usage and has it's own capacity, so it won't slow you down either.
It's only accessible to BT broadband or BT wi-fi customers.

It can be disabled though if you wish.

0 Ratings
Award90210
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Thanks For your quick response Richie.

Yeah, definitely don’t feel comfortable with it. How can it be removed?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

See attched link. Be aware that it does not turn off right away and can take up to 30 days.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

Also be aware that turning it off will mean that you lose the ability to make use of the free BT wifi whilst out and about.

0 Ratings
Award90210
Beginner
Message 6 of 22

But I don’t have a bt account. I bought the whole home WiFi triple pack and connected it to my virgin box (virgin is my service provider, not BT).

So for some reason, connecting the whole home WiFi (when not a bt customer) allows the devices to connect to bt fon for strangers.

Please advice ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

I don't have the device so I don't know the lay out but are you able to log onto or use the app to get to the management pages to see if there is an option to turn off BTWifi from there.

0 Ratings
Award90210
Beginner
Message 8 of 22

Hi - no, there is no option at all in any of the settings. In fact, it doesn’t tell you anywhere (on the website, box or included leaflet) about bt FON, which I think is a bit naughty, really.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

@Award90210 wrote:
But I don’t have a bt account. I bought the whole home WiFi triple pack and connected it to my virgin box (virgin is my service provider, not BT).

So for some reason, connecting the whole home WiFi (when not a bt customer) allows the devices to connect to bt fon for strangers.

Please advice ?

I don't see how that can work, there will be no network available for BT wifi. It may be broadcasting an SSID but it won't have any connectivity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

@Award90210 wrote:
Hi - no, there is no option at all in any of the settings. In fact, it doesn’t tell you anywhere (on the website, box or included leaflet) about bt FON, which I think is a bit naughty, really.

There is supposed to be a guest network built in, but you should be able to turn it off.

Was this new, or secondhand?

If it was secondhand, the factory reset the system.

0 Ratings