cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lockey101
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

CCTV access via Whole Home Wifi

I've recently set up to 2 Whole home Wifi discs, which are conected and have internet access when devices are connected to them. However, I am unable to access my local CCTV system when connected to the discs, but have access when connected to the home hub and via 4G. Any ideas why I can't see across the network whilst connected to the Whole Home discs?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: CCTV access via Whole Home Wifi

Hi, good question. This should work so there's something odd happening.

Can you please confirm :
- did you change any settings on your home hub? Eg port, firewall, IP addresses, etc
- what's your network layout, eg how is the CCTV connected to your hub? Do you have another DHCP server on your LAN, etc etc
- do you connect to whole home through the standard wi-fi, not the Guest network

Let us know these and we may be able to help further.
Community ModeratorBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
lockey101
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

Hub has stayed the same. I have port forwarding to the hard wired CCTV recorder on a static IP. I also have a DNS server setup to access footage remotely. I connect to the Wifi discs via the normal network and not guest. The only stting I have changed is SSID to that of my homehub, so that there is only one Wifi network. I can see my NAS drive across the network connected to the Wifi discs, but not the CCTV via the Alien DVR app.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 8

Hi, thanks for the info.

I'm not sure that explains your CCTV problem, but for now I notice that you've changed your SSID to the same as the Hub.

Doing this defeats the object of the whole home wi-fi. Your discs can only manage their own network. So if your devices sometimes connect to the Hub, whole home can't manage them and it may cause some unexpected issues.

I don't think that'll necessarily fix your CCTV problem, but change that first and let us know what happens. Easiest way to do this so you don't have to reconfigure all your devices is to switch-off wi-fi in your Home Hub (browse to bthomehub.home and go to wireless settings).

On your CCTV problem, I suspect it's the static IP and DNS server that causes the problem. But I'll need to get advice internally. Bear with me.

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
lockey101
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I turned off the Wifi on the hub, connected to the discs and it made no difference. I changed the SSID on the discs and turned the wifi back on the hub and again made no difference. Can't figure it out!

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 8

Ok, so I think it's your specific setup with DNS. I don't have that specific knowledge to resolve this for you. Maybe someone else here can help.
I'll also raise this to the tech team on monday.
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
DaveJC
Message 7 of 8

I had a very similar problem where my desktop PC (connected to my network by ethernet) lost access to my  wireless IP cameras.  It took me a couple of days to work out that the BT whole home wifi had randomly paused several devices on my network including my desktop.  My PC appeared to be working ok, had internet access & could see all my ethernet connected storage devices but not the wireless cameras.

The fix was to use the app, look at the list of paused devices, then unpause the devices (in my case the ethernet connected PC). You may need to pause a device with the slider before you can unpause it.  I know this sounds an odd fix but it worked for me.

Hope this makes sense.

0 Ratings
lockey101
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the info, yeah it does make sense.. tried pausing everyting connected to the discs, but hasn't helped. Just can't figure it out!??! when connected to the discs, you can see across the network and externally, but not the CCTV drive. Very odd.

0 Ratings