cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Call blocking and corded phone

Go to solution

I have just purchased and installed a BT4600 three phone set and set it to block calls and announce callers.  I have a corded phone (useful in case of power failures).  

1. Must I install the BT4600 base station at the master socket or can I instal at an extension

2. Will plugging in the corded phone (at the master socket or at an extension) cause issues with the call blocking features of the BT4600

3. What can I expect to hear if I answer an incoming call on the corded phone (we have a large house and it is useful to have all phones connected) given the base station is set to block calls and announce.

I ask because we have had some strange behaviour.  eg the cordless phone does not ring if I call it from my mobile (using wifi calling), and there is no ringing tone at the mobile,  although the BT4600 handset does show a missed call.  I get number engaged and then unobtainable if I call the mobile from the cordless, although the phone is not engaged.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Call blocking and corded phone

Go to solution

@shihan wrote:

I have just purchased and installed a BT4600 three phone set and set it to block calls and announce callers.  I have a corded phone (useful in case of power failures).  

1. Must I install the BT4600 base station at the master socket or can I instal at an extension

Doesn't matter which.

2. Will plugging in the corded phone (at the master socket or at an extension) cause issues with the call blocking features of the BT4600

Not in itself, no.

3. What can I expect to hear if I answer an incoming call on the corded phone (we have a large house and it is useful to have all phones connected) given the base station is set to block calls and announce.

It will be just as if answering a call as normal without any call blocking.

I ask because we have had some strange behaviour.  eg the cordless phone does not ring if I call it from my mobile (using wifi calling), and there is no ringing tone at the mobile,  although the BT4600 handset does show a missed call.  I get number engaged and then unobtainable if I call the mobile from the cordless, although the phone is not engaged.

No idea about that I'm afraid.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

If you connect the BT4600 and the corded phone in parallel (same PSTN line but different sockets), when you receive a call both phones will try to handle the call. If you have the BT4600 set to Announce Calls then it will silently (ie no ringing) answer the call for you and announce to the caller that they need to leave their name, at which point your BT4600 Handsets will then ring to announce the call to you and give you the option to answer, reject or send the call to answerphone.

However, if you have a corded phone also connected, the corded phone will ring when the call first arrives ie when the BT4600 is screening the call for you, which somewhat defeats the object of having the Call Blocking phone to screen your calls and not ring unnecessarily, so the best option may be to just use the BT4600 for your calls and only use the corded phone should you need to in the event of a power cut should you need it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the useful info.  I do find that if I plug the corded phone into the master socket it prevents the cordless ones from ringing.  Have decided to shelve the corded one just for emergency use.  Now trying to register one of the old BT Freestyle handsets - currently constantly searching but probably due to low battery as it has been disconnected for a few days

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks.  As noted elsewhere, the corded phone in the master socket completely stops the cordless from ringing (not just while screening - could this be a capacitor issue? ).   Anyway I will follow your sensible advice. and just keep the corded phone for power cuts.

0 Ratings