cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RealPaulWalker
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Can I Daisy Chain Whole Home via Ethernet?

I have 5 whole home discs. 

Disc 1 is wired into, and right next to the router. Disc 2 is almost directly above Disc 1, in the loft, connected by wifi to Disc 1. Disc 3 (also loft) is behind about 3 walls line of sight from Disc 1, and 1 wall from Disc 2, but still insists on connecting to Disc 1 directly, with a poor quality connection. I've now run an ethernet cable from Disc 2 to Disc 3, and Disc 3 persists in connecting to Disc 1 by wifi directly, ignoring the ethernet link. Why is this?

Supplementary question; Discs 4 & 5 are very close to Disc 3, but won't daisy chain from Disc 3, instead insisting on a poor connection from Disc 1. 

So far I have tried varying the boot up sequence to have the far discs power on last, but they still connect to Disc 1, and also waiting days & weeks for the system to settle to no avail. 

So:

1) can I use ethernet to connect Disc 2 to Disc 3?

2) how can I force the system into a mesh state to daisy chain far discs instead of everything connecting by a terrible wifi connection to the master disc?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
tribunepind
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I Daisy Chain Whole Home via Ethernet?

I think they need to be connected to your switch rather than chaining from one unit to another. I think tenda or tp link do a mesh system where you can wire units to each other.
0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

I would recommend you contact the BT Helpdesk By email on btconnectedhome@bt.com.

My understanding is the whole home system can use the Ethernet connections to link but you can't force one to be the master. The Whole Home Wi-Fi system will select the best connection.
I would check the following :
1. Check all discs have the same SSID , i.e. You have used the app to install.
2. When you installed you used the Ethernet connections during installation.
3. Check all the discs have the latest firmware, this has improved Wi-Fi drivers

Hope This Helps.

Still have issues contact btconnectedhome@bt.com with some system LOGS and Screen prints of your Home Screen.
0 Ratings
RealPaulWalker
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Thanks tribunepind. That’s what I was worried about, but coming to that conclusion. Disappointing, but appreciate you taking the time. Frustrating there’s so little documentation on this.
0 Ratings