cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Can I ask for an upgraded HUB?

OK - I am still on the old copper line.  (I am not technical and in my 70's so.....) 

I use my Internet every day on my laptop, mobile and also download BBC Catch up on my TV -which is not directly connected to my TV.

It occurred to me that several years ago we had an engineer come to our cottage and he contacted BT and suggested they upgrade my Hub free of charge.  I think it is a Smart Hub2 - by looking on BT website.

Engineer said because our cottage has very thick walls we needed a better Hub.

My question is - my signal does keep dropping - more lately and I guess it could be because of the 'Lock down'.   I did in fact maybe naively think my speed would be better because most of the village changed over to a 'satellite' dish company and not using BT phone line.

I have been with BT for years and renewed my 18 month contract a few months ago.  So - I just wondered with improving technology do you think BT upgrade my Hub again for me FOC if I asked?

Thank you

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Can I ask for an upgraded HUB?

if you actually have the SH2 then that is the newest hub available

can you check your phone line  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

can you post some hub stats by going to hub manager then advanced settings then technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

GillyFB_0-1588426042607.png

I hope I have done this OK.  

The quiet line test - I did - but on a BT Cordless and it was fine.

What can I look on my Hub to say what Model it is?  Have I go the info when I typed in: 192.168.1.254 and I see it states BT Smart Hub - Devices 7

Thank you for helping me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

this will help decide which hub

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up/user-guides-and-manuals-for-bt-hubs

from the checker results you had a very good connection on 8mb on adsl2 probably better than you would get of fibre FTTC which current has a waiting list

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Thank you for the information.  That's good to know about my 'connection' maybe I am gaining as a loyal customer where others in the village have moved away.

So my HUB look like the BT Smart Hub.  (So the engineer several years ago really helped by saying as our walls are so thick we needed a new hub.)

It was just a thought that given a few years have past since the new Hub, and technology again moves on, so was there an even better HUB - that would give me better internet signal in certain places of our cottage.   

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

I think you have as good as you can get with the hub

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

As @imjolly says, a different hub is unlikely to improve your wifi coverage. You could consider going for this https://www.bt.com/broadband/complete-wifi

or powerline adaptors such as these https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html to improve your wifi coverage.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Thank you - so this is what I looked at - 

1. Checked 'complete wifi' and not available in my area. 

2. The other idea - could be worth a try.  Is it worth shopping around anywhere else for powerline adapters  e.g. are there others on the market that would do the same without BT logo or is a BT Powerline  Adapters possibly the best way to go to  'connect' to a BT hub.

3. Read this review on Powerline Adapters- see below - which I could say was from someone else in a similar position as us thick walls. BUT!!! Not sure if they mean it worked or not.

Good Points+ It works as expected.

Bad Points− Not yet managed to add more hotspots. This is important because we live in an area with low download speeds and weak WiFi (our old cottage has thick wall) so need to hardwire some devices.

Finally - could be worth a try in our sitting room (hub in dining room - just stairs in between these two rooms) but just sometimes I get 'swirling' when using BBC iplayer to 'catch up'.

------ Thank you again for coming back so quickly regarding my questions

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

@GillyFB wrote:

Thank you - so this is what I looked at - 

1. Checked 'complete wifi' and not available in my area. 

Odd, can't see how it is area dependent, its just wifi discs for the home.

2. The other idea - could be worth a try.  Is it worth shopping around anywhere else for powerline adapters  e.g. are there others on the market that would do the same without BT logo or is a BT Powerline  Adapters possibly the best way to go to  'connect' to a BT hub.

Yes, definitely shoparound.  Powerline adaptors are agnostic to the type of router they are connected to they just turn your mains wiring into a pseudo Ethernet cable. Some just provide Ethernet sockets and others Ethernet sockets and wifi hotspots.

3. Read this review on Powerline Adapters- see below - which I could say was from someone else in a similar position as us thick walls. BUT!!! Not sure if they mean it worked or not.

Good Points+ It works as expected.

Bad Points− Not yet managed to add more hotspots. This is important because we live in an area with low download speeds and weak WiFi (our old cottage has thick wall) so need to hardwire some devices.

Finally - could be worth a try in our sitting room (hub in dining room - just stairs in between these two rooms) but just sometimes I get 'swirling' when using BBC iplayer to 'catch up'.

------ Thank you again for coming back so quickly regarding my questions

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Thank you - could be worth going Powerline route as only option.

As for Discs - when I look at product and click that I have broadband another box comes up where I put in my Post Code.  Don't think I am going in wrong place?

Complete Wi-Fi packages aren’t available where you live yet

Sorry, you won't be able to upgrade to broadband with Complete Wi-Fi this time. Check back soon to see if it’s come to your area. In the meantime, check out your upgrade deals.

0 Ratings