Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanD2
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Can't add 5th and 6th Discs to Whole Home Wifi

Go to solution

I've hunted round all the other threads and tried many ideas, but I still can't add my 5th and 6th Discs to connect to my existing whole home wifi.

I've had 2 x 2 pack discs running now for about 6 weeks, and except for some positional hiccups all are running excellently.

I still have one low signal space in my house, and I want to try and get an ethernet connection in my lounge via a new disc as it's the only place I've had to keep a powerline adaptor. Therefore, I've bought a further 2 x disc pack.

I've followed all the instructions on the many threads, and I've obviously successfully managed to get 4 working, so thought I knew what I was doing.

Everything runs smoothly when adding via the app, but right at the end of the process, I just get a red light, and can't rename the disc in the app as says it can't connect to it. I've left the disc for 20+ mins to see if changes from red, but nothing happens.

I know there are limitations of the app for displaying more than 4 discs, but the FAQ says the system can use up to 6 discs.

Any help appreciated, and sorry if there is a solution in a thread somewhere that I've missed.

IAN D.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
IanD2
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can't add 5th and 6th Discs to Whole Home Wifi

Go to solution

A bit more info.

When I connect the new disc to the router via ethernet to transfer the SSID etc it's clearly not working, as the new disc sitting there with a red LED is broadcasting it's original wifi network, and hence not connecting to the existing network.

IAN D.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @IanD2

Have you tried the following?

1. Reboot all of your current disc setup

2. Once all discs are back solid blue, connect the new disc with an Ethernet cable to your router (alongside the current disc plugged in)

3. Once the new disc shows solid blue, press the factory reset button (wait for the LED to go off and then solid purple). If this doesn't happen, try again in 10 seconds

4. Wait for the disc to turn solid blue again. Within 30 seconds, the disc should flash purple which means it has synchronised the details of the existing network. You can now add the disc with the app.

5. Repeat steps 2-4 with the 6th disc.

Please let me know if you have any more problems.

Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
IanD2
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Dan-O.....well, I actually have no idea what I've done differently, but now I have managed to get them to connect.

As a bonus, they are showing up on the app front screen as well, which I wasn't expecting.

Not sure what you or I have done differently, but you appear to be a wizard. Thanks very much for your help.

IAN D.

0 Ratings
phanc60844
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Dan
I've tried your solution but I still get the red led. I've tried to set them up in various locations thinking that the issue was signal strength but I even get a red in the same room as the master. They sync together at the setup stage but when I disconnect and place them at the point of use they take an age to initialise and then show red. By the way I have 4 discs in use, the first 3 were easy to setup, the 4th took a bit of time to do , 5 and 6 are proving impossible
Paul
0 Ratings
AncientRocker
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you Dan-O you have saved a fifth disc from the bin!

0 Ratings
AlexhSaunders
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Seems since updating to the latest firmware, i have the same issue. I thought i had a faulty disc so brought a new one.

Since testing and adding the new disk, i now have 3 discs working.

The issue i have, is that the old disc just keeps going red. I have followed the instructions with out any luck.

I have completed the following actions:

1. Reboot all of your current disc setup

2. Once all discs are back solid blue, connect the new disc with an Ethernet cable to your router (alongside the current disc plugged in)

3. Once the new disc shows solid blue, press the factory reset button (wait for the LED to go off and then solid purple). If this doesn't happen, try again in 10 seconds

4. Wait for the disc to turn solid blue again. Within 30 seconds, the disc should flash purple which means it has synchronised the details of the existing network. You can now add the disc with the app.

5. Repeat steps 2-4 with the 6th disc.

Question on these instructions. in point 3,  it mentions to factory rest - i am asumming this is on the addtional disk and not my master disk that is kept connected to my router.

On doing this action, i can add the required disk, i can see it working fine in the app. when i disconnect the network cable the disk goes back to a hard red status.

Also whislt still connected, i am not seeing any devices connecting to it.

I have spent many hours trying to get my home Wifi back up and running and trying to use the addtional disk.

Please can somebody confirm my actions are correct or if i need to reset my master disk?

Regards

Alex 

0 Ratings
AncientRocker
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
I only had to factory reset the 5th disc. However, I had to repeat the whole routine twice before it worked for reasons beyond my understanding!
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@AlexhSaunderswrote:

Question on these instructions. in point 3,  it mentions to factory rest - i am asumming this is on the addtional disk and not my master disk that is kept connected to my router.

On doing this action, i can add the required disk, i can see it working fine in the app. when i disconnect the network cable the disk goes back to a hard red status.

Please can somebody confirm my actions are correct or if i need to reset my master disk?

Hi @AlexhSaunders, correct, at point 3 you should press the reset button on your new disc (not the master); then wait until light goes permanently solid blue (and stays blue for several minutes). The other thing to point out is you should then disconnect your disc BEFORE you add it on the app (using the location advice shown during the app set-up).

Hope this helps.

Community ModeratorBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
AlexhSaunders
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I fixed my issue.

this was the fix:

1: Get all discs loaclly in front of the router - switched off.

2: Add disk1, no cable attached to router and switch on.

3: After the purple and then sold blue light being present - hold the rest button in for 30 seconds, quickly double press the rest button again. you will notice the device resets.

4: Allow disk1 to fully reboot, goes purple and then sold blue light.

5: Connect network cable and allow process to complete again. 

6: When at a solid blue light open the app and add disk. 

7: Turn on disk 2, allow to flash purple and then solid blue again

8:  Complete  steps again - detailed in step 3 

9: Complete steps in step 4.

10: Compelte steps is step 5 and 6. repeat on all disks.

Man this was fun, after many hours getting stressed i am up and working again on 4 disks.

Lessons learnt:

Google BT whole home firmware issues before applying updates.

Good Luck!

0 Ratings