cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Can't change new Smart Hub 2 SSID or Wireless Password

Two days ago I got my BT Fibre Broadband service. I've got a Smart Hub 2.

I can't change either the SSID or Wifi Password. The screen accepts my changes and asks me if I'm sure. I click on Yes, and Save. The screen shows my changes in the appropriate boxes but if I navigate away from that page and go back the changes have been replaced by the original/default configuration.

Firmware version:v0.21.03.07094-BT. It ws Updated Wed Nov 18 12:03:53 2020. I'm running Win & Pro 64 Bit and the latest Firefox Browser.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Can't change new Smart Hub 2 SSID or Wireless Password

are you using just letters/numbers or are you using characters as well  some characters may not be acceptable and no spaces

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

The SSID is Upper and Lower Case letters interspersed with hyphens.
The Wifi Password is all Lower Case letters interspersed with hyphens. I realise that from a Security viewpoint this isn't "best practice" but I just want to restore service to about 30 devices while I arrange to reconfigure them all at a convenient time.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

I have used hyphen is SSID so it accepts that now sure about more than 1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

I've just discovered that it will accept the new SSID, if I change that only. It won't accept the new Wifi Password. I have tried multiple password combinations of upper and lower case and numbers, with and without hypens. Nothing seems to work there.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

I had the same issue and found that if I changed the password via the  BT app, it worked, try That.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Via the BT App? Really! Hmm, now who do I know that has a smartphone....
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

<sigh> why is nothing easy? OK...which BT App is it, specifically please? I went to the Google Play Store and search for BT app and had a load of BT Plc Group Apps listed, and after a lot of wasted time, none of them are apparently the correct one.

Is this just a web browser issue? I'm using firefox. If the app works but the browser doesn't...

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

The app is called My BT.  You’ll need to login in with your BT account username and password.  I'm not sure but assume the password issue is a bug in the Smart Hub firmware as I tried several browsers and could not change the password.  It may be that the firmware will not accept an old style ‘simpler’ password but I nearly gave up and trying the My BT app option was a last resort.  Fortunately it worked as  I was not looking forward to changing the password on all my Wi-Fi devices!

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

..."Your device is not compatible with this app."...

Well thank you for your efforts anyway @BAFlyer , I do appreciate them.

Anyone else got any suggestions please?

0 Ratings