cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kjgunn
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Can you use the BT Whole Home Ethernet Port to connect a Sky Q Mini box to the Sky Q Main box?

I have installed 4 BT Whole Home Wi-Fi disks connected to my HH6 [for internet connectivity].

My Sky Q Mini box is too far away from the Sky Q Main box to connect using Sky's Airties Wi-Fi Mesh.

Has anyone successfully used the BT Whole Home Wi-Fi disks' Ethernet ports to connect the Mini box to the Main Sky Q box - i.e. as a virtual wired Ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES
Highlighted
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can you use the BT Whole Home Ethernet Port to connect a Sky Q Mini box to the Sky Q Main box?

Have you tried connecting it with an Ethernet cable?

I have connected my BT Youview box to a disc Ethernet port and this works fine, BT Sport UHD too.

0 Ratings
kjgunn
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Re: Can you use the BT Whole Home Ethernet Port to connect a Sky Q Mini box to the Sky Q Main box?

Thanks @Oxlade1 - no that’s what I’m trying to find out. The BT Youview box is accessing the internet - but the Sky Q box needs to be able to see and communicate with the Sky Q Miniboxes. Conceptually it seems the same thing (to me!) as plugging in a PC to one wi-fi disk and printing to a printer that’s plugged into a second disk? So I think it should work - but was hoping to find someone who’s actually set up Sky Q this way...
0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Sure, I'm not entirely sure how Sky Q mesh works when connected over a non-Sky network.. but the "mesh" is certainly a different protocol to the Whole Home Wi-Fi "mesh" protocol. I don't see why not as other local network things with discovery like Apple TV/Chromecast work fine over it.

Hopefully someone with experience connecting it can confirm for you.

0 Ratings
kjgunn
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Yes - the Sky Airties mesh is just a clever way of getting a stable wi-fi signal between the Sky Q Box and the Miniboxes - I’m hoping to turn off the Sky Wi-Fi and use the Ethernet ports on the Sky Q box and Miniboxes and connect them using BT Whole Home Wi-Fi Ethernet ports.
0 Ratings