cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Complete WiFi Disc, devices wont stay connected at 5ghz and revert to 2.4ghz

I have the Smarthub 2 and a black disc, had them for approx 2 years.  Smarthub2 in the lounge at the front of the house and the disc is upstairs in the study at the rear of the house (its actually connected via my LAN to the SH2 but exhibits the exact same if i disconnect the hard wired LAN and let it use wifi for the backhaul).

Devices would always connect at 5ghz to the disc and remain at 5ghz but all of a sudden devices which connect to the Disc will connect at 5ghz but then within a few hours all will reconnect at 2.4ghz to the disc.

I have tried turning off smart wifi and manually setting the 5ghz to 36 etc and 2.4ghz band to 1,6 etc and it still does the exact same thing.  Devices that connect to the SH2 connect at 5ghz not a problem and remain there.

If i turn off 2.4ghz which effectively forces all 5ghz devices on to 5ghz they remain connected and super fast with excellent signal strengths but obviously i cannot leave 2.4 ghz disabled.

I noticed because I am a little OCB but also because downloading content on my Xbox was hitting a maximum of 100Mbps where before i would see far nearer my actual speed of 300Mbps, so the problem may have existed for a while or at least since i notice a firmware update back on the 30th March.  This affects 2 laptops for work, echo plus, echo dot, a tablet, chromecast tv and a couple of mobiles not just the xbox.  Whats happening is the echo dot and chromecast tv for example even though metres away from the disc will connect to the SH2 downstairs at 5ghz and get a 'weak' signal which seems to defeat the discs purpose!!

It appears to me that the disc is disabling 5ghz after a while as when i use a wifi scanner i no longer see 2 x 5ghz SSIDS (same names)

Whats going on?????

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Complete WiFi Disc, devices wont stay connected at 5ghz and revert to 2.4ghz

Well, to answer my own question and problem and also if anyone else has this problem.

I basically deleted/removed the disc from the SH2 via the GUI, depowered and reset it back up. So far its holding up on 5ghz, hoping this doesnt become a common occurrence.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Complete WiFi Disc, devices wont stay connected at 5ghz and revert to 2.4ghz

It's back to how it was again, the disc is only actually transmitting a 2.4 GHz WiFi signal again, no 5ghz

Disc broken maybe? Seems an odd fault being that resetting it enables 5ghz again

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

And it's down it again.  Seems to odd to be a fault with hardware.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

And its done it again.  Is no one else having this issue?

My disc upstairs is definitely only transmitting on the 2.4ghz band.  I power cycle it and it will be back at 5ghz for sometimes a few weeks sometimes a day before it decides again only to transmit 2.4ghz again

0 Ratings