Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eagle0505
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Complete WiFi - Limited speeds?

Go to solution

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to complete WiFi (one disc) and installed it on my new Fibre 900 line.

Now I know there is an existing issue with wireless speeds on the Fibre 900 package but wanted to ask specifically for the Disc why direct to router I’m getting 300+mb and yet with the disc (even when situated next to the router) I cannot get above 50mb.

I understand the discs still run on the same 802.11ac WiFi so should be able to support up to 1700+ mb at 5GHz and ~385mb at 2.4GHz.

Any reason why I’m getting such a slow throughout? Thanks in advance! 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Complete WiFi - Limited speeds?

Go to solution

@Eagle0505 

The discs are just wireless repeaters, and as such, will result in a loss of throughput as they have to receive, then re-transmit, on the same channel. They can only do that when there is s suitable gap when no other device is passing data on that channel.

For them to operate at full speed, they would have to be physically connected to the home hub, or have a separate backhaul path.

0 Ratings
Eagle0505
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe  - I guess I’m shocked at the huge difference in speeds to go from 900mb to only 50mb seems steep.

To follow up is there any way to configure the disc to only connect to devices that are out of range or the main router instead of in-range devices preferring the disc?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Its not a wireless mesh system like the BT Whole Home system, so there is no automatic roaming between the disc and the home hub. All it is doing is extending the signal from the home hub, to the location of the disc, so BT can guarantee a strong wireless signal in every room.

On a wireless channel, only one device can  transmit at a time, by waiting for a quiet moment when there is no other traffic, then it can send its data to the destination device. The more devices that are using that channel, the slower the data transfer will be.

A three node wireless mesh system can perform better, as each node has more than one path back to the gateway node, so that if one path is suffering interference, data can be routed another way, depending on how sophisticated the software is.

If you have a fast connection, then to make the most of it, you are going to have to use Ethernet connections for any devices like desktop and laptop computers that can handle it.

Most mobile devices like phones, cannot handle or display fast connections anyway.

0 Ratings
meltonblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Complete is a mesh system though isn’t it?

0 Ratings