Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Relax24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Complete WiFi discs over ethernet

Go to solution

Hi there, probably a stupid question but here goes.. 

Parents did a refurb and builder has run cat 6 cables to each room with a faceplate in each. 

Instead of using the discs as a mesh over WiFi, can I connect the complete WiFi discs to the ethernet port in each room that I have one, and have them broadcast a wireless connection that way rather than have them daisy chained via WiFi? Will they still allow seamless handover of devices as someone moves around the house?

Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
Barneyabz
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Complete WiFi discs over ethernet

Go to solution

Yes I believe they can connect to the router vie ethernet cable and switches. I am installing mine in another week so I'll be able to tell you for sure but I'm pretty sure it's possible. 

BT Full Fibre 900
0 Ratings
Relax24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks that would be great! 

0 Ratings
healthily_skeptical
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@Barneyabz - did this work, i.e. connecting the Complete WiFi discs to the router over Ethernet rather than having them daisy chain back? If so, what sort of throughput are you getting? Thank you.

0 Ratings
Barneyabz
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Yes, I believe this is working, just did a speedtest on tablet and  got 480 mbits download and 100 mbit upload (tablet is connected at 866mbits on 5ghz channel to the secondary disc). I have BT full fibre 900 (900mbits download and 100mbit upload). House is busy with my kids on the net at the moment so I'll try and take a measurement when no-one is on it.

BT Full Fibre 900