cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robonuk
Message 1 of 6

Complete WiFi

I’ve just got the Smart Hub 2 with a Wi-fi disc with it. Can I use the disc with a 3rd party router? I’ve not changed package, however using the Smart hub I get on average 21mb, but using my Netgear Router I get an average of 31mb. My setup is the same as it was literally swap the router out.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Complete WiFi

If it works with your Netgear there is nothing to stop you using it.

0 Ratings
robonuk
Message 3 of 6

Can I pair it with my netgear though? It’s the black disc
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I thought from the wording of your first post that you had already paired with your Netgear and that you were getting 31Mbps as against 21Mbps with the hub and all you want to know if it was  OK to do that.

I don't have the discs so I can not say if they can be paired with a non BT router but I am sure somebody else will be able to advise you but if not why don't you just try it.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@robonuk wrote:
Can I pair it with my netgear though? It’s the black disc

I think you will find that the smart hub 2 forms the first (master) node in the mesh, and will not work with another router, but there is no harm in trying.

If it does not work, then you can always return the disc, as its only rented.

The white whole home discs will work with any router.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

I assume your SH2 doesn't have a WAN port so you can't connect it to your Netgear running in bridge mode.  So the alternative is to use the SH2 as an additional wireless access point - turn off its DHCP and make sure your Netgear is on a different IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.1 for the Netgear and 192.168.1.254 for the SH2).  Connect the two routers via LAN ports and disable wireless on the Netgear.  You may now be able to use wireless on the SH2 and black disk.

0 Ratings