cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulgoth73
Message 1 of 14

Complete Wifi Disc Flashing Red

Got the new Smart Hub 2 and one disc a few weeks back and all was set up and working ok.

Had the upstairs room where the disc was located decorated so had to unplug it for the day. Plugged it back in last night and now flashing red.

If I connect it to the Smart Hub 2 via ethernet it goes blue and appears ok in the app, etc. But as soon as I remove the ethernet cable - even when its right next to the Hub in the same room, red flashing light.

Does the disc have a problem? Do I need to reset something on the disc itself (i.e. factory settings and set up as new again maybe)?

Any ideas or advice much appreciated. Otherwise its a call to the helpline!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Complete Wifi Disc Flashing Red

sounds like the disc can't see the Wi-Fi from the BT Hub.

The best way to connect your Hub and Wi-Fi discs is to follow the instructions on the My BT app. On the home screen, select More, Your wi-fi network and then Set up new disc. This will guide you through the set-up and suggest the best location for your disc.

Alternatively, follow the steps below to connect using an ethernet cable. There's one in your Hub box.
1.Plug one end of the ethernet cable into a yellow port on the back of the Hub and the other end into the yellow port on the disc
2.The light on the Wi-Fi disc will start flashing blue and will turn solid blue after a couple of minutes
3.You can now unplug the cable. The light will change to flashing red, but will go back to solid blue after a few seconds
4.Unplug the disc from the mains and plug it in at the preferred location.
Still have a problem , check out https://support.bt.com/fix/broadband/?view=broadbandtroubleshooter
paulgoth73
Message 3 of 14

Thanks Inarjr02

Thing is it worked before I left it unplugged for a whole day.

Connecting via ethernet works and it connects but as soon as I take the cable out its back to flashing red lights. It doesn't turn blue or orange

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

if you are still seeing a problem, after a factory reset I would call 150 or check out https://support.bt.com/fix/broadband/?view=broadbandtroubleshooter as BT guarantee Wi-fi in very room with Complete Wi-fi.
0 Ratings
noidea66
Message 5 of 14

Hi paulgoth73 - I'm sure you're sorted by now, but this could be of use to others. I had the same problem after turning the disc off for a few days, and tried all the suggestions, but stopped short of factory reset. I turned off the Smart Hub 2 router (with the on/off switch on the back), then turned it on again (I think they call this a re-start).

Much to my surprise the disc , which was still turned on (but flashing red), changed to solid blue light after a very short while and it's all working fine ! Not saying this is 'the fix', but could be worth a try before other more complex stuff. I've not seen this suggested on any of the forums.

donw1
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

noidea66: many many thanks for posting that suggestion! It worked for me too!

0 Ratings
bridunsig
Message 7 of 14

Exactly the same happened to me. I rang BT, very helpful woman talked me through the whole setup, which is exactly what I had previously (?) and decided to send me New Disc. Great as arrived very next day... Same problem setting up. Got solid blue light when Ethernet cable plugged in, but once unplugged, returned to RED flashing light and never went to BLUE. So....... unplugged completely. Used phone for suitable positioning and although phone said 'excellent situation', once I plugged the DISC in, it went flashing RED and eventually solid ORANGE. I have now left it alone as really got cheesed off with the whole damn set up. Surely to GOD there must be easier and more reliable ways in these days of High Tech and Alexas' etc, BT should have an unfailable system in operation. My son works for a huge car manufacturer in R&D and they have cars of all makes, sending information to each other seamlessly, and have done for years. Come on BT, finger out !!!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Hi @bridunsig, welcome to the community and thanks for posting.  I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your complete wifi disc, a solid orange light normally means the disc is too far away from the Hub or other discs on the network. Is it possible to try moving the disc closer to the Hub to see if it will connect?  

For helpful tips to fix problems with your complete wifi service check out this helpful video.

0 Ratings
Macca1
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Like newbie. I simply switched the router off and then back on and the disc started working again.

0 Ratings
Snowman1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

This suggestion worked for me also thus once again reinforcing the theory that 90% of computer problems are solved by restarting the equipment.