Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thisuldo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Connecting wifi disc over ethernet

Hi,

Is there any way to force a connection to a disc over ethernet? 

I have back hauled a disc to the home hub 2 using cat6 but the disc keeps connecting to and repeating a week wifi signal. Is there any way to force the disc to connect  to the hub through the connected ethernet? 

Many thanks....

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Thisuldo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Connecting wifi disc over ethernet

I guess not?

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Sorry I am a little confused? If you connect the discs using ethernet they 'should' as far as my experience goes use the ethernet as the backhaul by default and as a priority. Is your CAT6 cable faulty? Can you test it, check it, change it for another, or have you already done that.

Can you describe your exact setup?  Is it s BT Smart Hub 2 and a black disc? Are you using the iOS app to check how devices are connected, 2.4ghz, 5ghz, ethernet etc?  If you are there is an issue with the latest iOS app

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

0 Ratings
Thisuldo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thank you for your response, I hope the following answers your questions...

BT Smart Hub2 with black disc. 

The disk is connected via a cat6 cable to a switch which is connected to port 1 of the hub via a cat6 cable.

I have connected directly to the cat6 cable from the hub feeding the switch and tried 2 different cat6 cables from the switch to the disc. All to no avail.

I have checked the connection through the smart hub manager accessed through a web browser. Interestingly when I first setup the disc I managed to connect via ethernet however it has since reverted back to a wireless signal.

0 Ratings
Thisuldo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Thank you for your response, I hope the following answers your questions...

BT Smart Hub2 with black disc. 

The disk is connected via a cat6 cable to a switch which is connected to port 1 of the hub via a cat6 cable.

I have connected directly to the cat6 cable from the hub feeding the switch and tried 2 different cat6 cables from the switch to the disc. All to no avail.

I have checked the connection through the smart hub manager accessed through a web browser. Interestingly when I first setup the disc I managed to connect via ethernet however it has since reverted back to a wireless signal.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

Sorry to ask more details but am I still a little unclear on your topology.
1) Are you connecting the disc and hub via a switch, HUB - > CAT6 -> SWITCH -> CAT6 -> DISC?
2) Have you removed the switch from the topology? HUB - > CAT6 -> DISC?
3) Are you accessing the smart hub 2's GUI via a Mac or PC as opposed to a android mobile or tablet or ipad, iphone?

Mine connect via a 'managed' switch, not a problem, if I disconnect the ethernet CAT6 cable the disc automatically uses WiFi for the backhaul. If I then reconnect the CAT6 cable, the Disc reverts to using the ethernet for the backhaul. So not really sure what is causing your issue other than the switch, if you haven't removed it in your previous testing?
0 Ratings
Thisuldo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

thank you for taking the time to reply.

1) Yes

2)Yes

3) MBP using Safari browser

Im using an unmanaged switch.

Rather annoyingly, if I reboot the disc it usually reconnects via ethernet only to switch to wifi over time.

Regards, Alan

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

My last suggestion and you have probably tried it although this method is slightly different to how set-up is done via the APP.

1) I would delete the Disc from your setup using the web based GUI or the APP.
2) Depower and disconnect the disc from the mains power and CAT6 cable and then reboot the router
3) Once the router has rebooted fully, connect your DISC directly to the hub (removing the switch) and wait for the light on the disc to turn a solid and stable blue.

Basically you aren't using the BT app to set up the disc, that's how I did it and it works fine over ethernet 100% of the time

if this doesn't or didn't work its a bloody mystery then to me mate as mine doesn't behave like that. Faulty disc or hub maybe? Faulty LAN ports on the router or disc?
0 Ratings
Thisuldo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Thank you for your reply.

I've did as you have suggested and the disc connected via the ethernet however after checking the following morning it has reverted to the wifi connection??

Any suggestions where to go now?

0 Ratings