Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Connection speed: BT Smart Hub 2 to Black Discs

Go to solution

My First post here.

I’ve searched the forum for my ‘problem’ but have not seen anything similar.

I have a Smart Hub 2 and 2 Black discs.  Now I’m happy with the system overall but I find that while the discs initially connect to the SH2 using the 5 Ghz connection, after a while they both drop to a 2.4 Ghz connection, which means that the Wi-Fi throughput for all devices connected to either disc is throttled by the 2.4 Ghz connection.  If I power cycle the discs they revert to the 5 GHz connection sometimes for hours sometimes for minutes, and on occasion a day or so.  When the connection type is 5 GHz, one disc states a signal level of -68 to -72 dBm with a ‘good’ connection and the other has signal level of -54 to -58 dBm with an ‘excellent’ connection on the BT App.

It would appear that the default connection to the SH2 is 5 GHz which makes sense. While I can understand that the 5 GHz transmission level from the SH2 will have spontaneous fades (normal behaviour for Wi-Fi signals in a domestic environment) and thus drop to a 2.4 GHz connection, I would have hoped that the discs would try and reconnect at the better 5 GHz when it re-appears after a fade.  That’s assuming the issue is caused by signal fades.  So far, once a disc drops to a 2.4 GHz connection to the SM2, it does not reconnect at 5 GHz without a disc power cycle.  Power cycling the SM2 hub doesn’t force a 5 GHz connection either nor does turning off the 2.4 GHz transmission on the SM2; the disc light just goes red! When a disc drops connection frequencies there is no indication from the disc this has happened, the blue light stays on all the time. Only when looking at the SM2 hub settings does this change become apparent.

Now being honest working at 2.4 GHz connection doesn’t impact any of my devices but I raise the issue just in case this is a silly foible that can be addressed by a firmware upgrade or a setting I’m missing somewhere.

Grateful for any comments.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connection speed: BT Smart Hub 2 to Black Discs

Go to solution

Hi @BAFlyer you do have a point about signal fading which can be resolved by firmware upgrade. But one thing you can to is to disable the 2.4GHz on smart hub2 so that will ensure both discs are always connecting @5GHz. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

mgylsk Thanks for your comments.

My problem there is that I have a few smart devices that only work with the 2.4 GHz band so turning of that band permanently really isn’t an option, sadly. What I find interesting is that when I do turn off the 2.4 Ghz band on the hub the discs do not automatically connect using the 5 Ghz band.

I noticed that the SM2 hub generates secondary 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz ‘hidden’ SSID’s which, I believe are used by the discs to connect to the hub but I’ve not seen any confirmation of that theory. I don’t think these hidden SSID’s are turned off when the relevant 2.4 of 5 GHz signal is turned off on the Hub. Much like the BTWiFi-X signals which are ‘always on’ if activated. If, as I suspect, they are not turned off, the discs will not change band as they can see the ‘hidden’ signal all the time.  As I said above a disc that is connecting on the 2.4 GHz band sometimes goes red when the 2.4 GHz band is turned but doesn’t connect at 5GHz. But I’ve also noted when the 2.4 GHz band on the hub is turned off, a disc that was connected at 2.4 GHz indicates it’s still connected (Blue) but has a signal strength of -127 DBm; a signal level well into the ambient RF noise levels.  Seems like the disc firmware is getting confused and just gives up.  

I’ve posted this on the hope someone in the BT development team will pickup the issue. I would expect that most users who are less IT experienced would not notice the change of band as it’s not something that would be easily noticed without constantly checking the SMH2 settings.  I’ve just got spare time on my hands now I’m retired J

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Just to complete this thread. As I have mentioned on a different thread I’ve resolved the problem by turning off the DHCP server on the SM2 and using a third party one on a NAS unit I have on my network. Black discs now connect at 5GHz all the time now, with the consequent speed improvements. There is clearly an issue with the SM2 DHCP server that hopefully will be resolved in future firmware upgrades, but who knows J

0 Ratings