cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Connectivity of hybrid connect to the smart hub with complete Wi-Fi

I’m looking to sign up for Hybrid Connect and Complete Wi-Fi - I hope someone can answer a technical question for me. 

I only receive good EE signal on one side of my house, which is the opposite side to the master socket for my fiber (not full) broadband. 

So, will the hybrid connect communicate with the smart hub through the complete Wi-Fi disc system, or will it only communicate directly back to the smart hub? 

In short, looking to establish whether the hybrid connect will be any good for me due to the distance it’ll be from the smart hub, but will be close to a complete Wi-fi disc.

Ethernet from the hybrid connect or any Wi-Fi disc isn’t an option. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connectivity of hybrid connect to the smart hub with complete Wi-Fi

Hi

I was advised by the team who designed the Hybrid that it only connects directly to the hub. Apparently this is to prevent any data loss.   Tim

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I can confirm that the Hybrid connects via wireless to the HUB.
The speed is not as good as connecting direct but it keeps the internet up and running and all of my internet TV.
I cannot tell you what the performance would be like connected via Wi-Fi disc.
My experiences of the hub and disc with respect to speed over Wi-Fi have been good so would imagine would be the same for the Hybrid.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Having just received my Hybrid Connect box, I have 2 immediate connectivity issues.  Firstly I don't have a spare ethernet port on my SmartHub2; secondly 4G reception is not great near the hub anyway.  It seems to me a design flaw to required the hub and hybrid to be together given the practicalities of mobile phone signals and proximity to other electrical devices.

I know the technical advice is not to connect to a WiFi disc but has anybody actually tried it?  It is the obvious solution if it works or alternatively I am going to have to look for an ethernet splitter - any recommendations, do and don'ts with them would be appreciated. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi @Longshanks0511 thanks for posting, you don't necessarily need to have the hybrid connect device connected via ethernet. I got the following info on the Hybrid Connect FAQ's

The Hybrid Connect device works best when it’s attached to a Smart Hub with an Ethernet cable. But it can connect to the hub without it. So if you’ve set up Hybrid Connect and your 4G signal isn’t strong enough, it’s time to try moving your device to another location. Your Hybrid Connect device will then connect to your Smart Hub using wi-fi.

Look for a location that’s:

• Well ventilated
  • Raised up from the floor
  • Away from other electronics
  • Near a plug and a window
  • Relatively close to your hub

The lights on the device will tell you when you’ve found a good spot. The central light should turn blue and the 4G signal icon should have as many lit-up bars as possible.

If your 4G signal isn't strong enough, try moving your Hybrid Connect away from your Smart Hub. You're looking for a place where as many of your signal bars light up as possible. 

If your central light turns orange, you're starting to move your Hybrid Connect too far from the Smart Hub and may want to move it a bit closer. 

If your central light turns red then your Hybrid Connect is definitely too far from your Smart Hub - try another location that's closer.

If your Hybrid Connect can't pick up a 4G signal contact us on 0800800150. 

Thanks

Neil

Message 6 of 8

Thanks @NeilO .  I hadn't picked up the wireless connection option in the User Guide or online FAQs, only one community post, so I thought it best to further highlight the issue.

It sounds as though the 4G signal strength is the primary factor rather than the hard wired/wireless connection to the hub so I will persevere with that.  I imagine setup is best achieved via ethernet, then unplug and move to try the wireless position.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@Longshanks0511 I think your right, I haven't used the equipment myself yet but I'd presume if you can locate it close to a window it would give you a better 4G signal.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

So far so good. I paired the Hybrid box directly via ethernet then unplugged and moved it to a window sill.  I had a n intermittent,  solid orange light to begin with suggesting difficulties connecting to the hub but it seems to have settled down and is solid blue now.  The 4G signal is 2 bars.

Of note, the Hybrid is next to a WiFi disc but it is not on the disc device connections listed on the App; so the Hybrid appears to be designed to ignore discs and only connect with a hub.

I guess the test now is to disconnect broadband and see what functionality is possible. Maybe later!