Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 1 of 32

Connectivity problems Whole Home Wi-Fi

Hi,

I have also noticed a lot of connectivity problems since the upgrade - my Google Home, Chromecast, iMac and Sonos system have all exhibited issues with losing connectivity such that I am very close to returning the Whole Home product.

My system comprises a Hub6 with two Whole Home discs. The Hub6 didn't provide coverage throughout my house (despite what it says in the adverts) but it did come close.

In trying to diagnose the problems, I've discovered that the issue is with Disc2 losing connectivity with Disc1.  The two discs are separated by a distance of 6 metres with two stud partition walls between them.  The Hub6 (which sits close to Disc1) gives me full signal on my iPhone where Disc2 is sited, yet Disc2 reports "Poor" connectivity to Disc1.  I therefore conclude that these Discs are FAR less powerful than the Hub6.

I've also noticed, using a WiFi scanner on my Mac, that there are more interfering networks visible where I have sited Disc2, compared to the site of Disc1 and I wonder whether Disc1 is making the analysis and setting the channels because it seems that they are consistently using channels which give Disc2 maximum interference from the neighbour's WiFi. Manually setting the (2.4G) channel to one I have determined is clearer has resulted in Disc2's connectivity improving to "Good". The only problem with this is that I'm losing the dynamic channel hopping which is supposed to be a key feature of this product.

The other thing I noticed is that no matter what channel I manually set for the 5G band, my WiFi scanner shows the discs continuing to operate on 40 AND 44, where Disc2 is again hitting interference from next door.

I'd appreciate any insights the community or BT's experts can provide on this as I'm not really happy with the current manual configuration.

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

Re: Connectivity problems Whole Home Wi-Fi

Hi @basingsteve I've moved your post to create your own thread about the problem you are having as that's the best thing to do. The community and BT product experts will be along to provide assistance with this issue.

cheers

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 32

@basingsteve

Have you read the main thread about this product, as there are lots of discussion there, and a product expert?

Introducing BT Whole Home Wi-Fi

0 Ratings
Ym83
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 32

I have tried rebooting and everything. Everything still getting disconnected after 10-15 minutes
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 32

@basingsteve

Why not ask on the main thread?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 6 of 32

I did, but the moderator moved me here for some reason...

0 Ratings
tony_bell
Beginner
Message 7 of 32

I too am experiencing similar issues since upgrade. Ping round trip is sporadic, jumping up to 300ms+ and often dropping lots of packets. Connecting to wired, or setting up a temp regular AP on the same LAN is stable +/- 10% consistently.

I have a 5 disc setup. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 32

@tony_bell wrote:

I too am experiencing similar issues since upgrade. Ping round trip is sporadic, jumping up to 300ms+ and often dropping lots of packets. Connecting to wired, or setting up a temp regular AP on the same LAN is stable +/- 10% consistently.

I have a 5 disc setup. 

Why not post on the main thread, so the devices expert will see it?

0 Ratings
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 9 of 32

@JohnC2 it seems quiet over here away from the main thread - perhaps it would be better to move the post back there to get some feedback?  I've got a ton of people arriving for the holidays in a couple of days time and I would dealy love to get this sorted before all the inevitable moaning starts...   (I'm also getting close to my 30 day returns cut-off in case I decide to jump ship to Google or TP-Link)

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 10 of 32

Quick question - is your Hub Wi-Fi still turned on (I assume so from your post) and is the SSID the same as Whole Home?
Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings