Re: Connectivity problems Whole Home Wi-Fi

Mine is still on . I am with virgin. They are different names
0 Ratings
Highlighted
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 12 of 32

Yes, my hub WiFi is still on and has its original SSID, so the Whole Home WiFi is running in parallel with it's own SSID.

I did initially turn the hub WiFi off and set the Whole Home to the original Hub SSID to avoid having to reprogram all my devices, but I had some issues with that configuration also and your call centre told me to revert to the standard setup.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 13 of 32

@basingsteve Thanks for the reply.

Can you confirm what signal strength and band the disc reporting poor connection is showing in the app?

(Disc Details)

Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 14 of 32

I've moved Disc1 (hard wired into Hub) so that it's at least 3m away from the Hub high on a shelf, almost at ceiling level.  It's path to Disc2 is through 2 stud partition walls (plasterboard) and an internal door - a straight line distance of 6m. Disc2 is currently reporting a signal strength of -78 "Poor" on the 2.4GHz band.

0 Ratings
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 15 of 32

Looking at my WiFi scanner, it seems the Hub6 has moved to CH11, which is what I manually fixed the Whole Home WiFi to yesterday (whilst the Hub was on CH6 as far as I can remember)

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 16 of 32

@basingsteve

Do you have the same results with the disc placed in the same location as the Home Hub? (with Wi-Fi off)

We are continuing to making improvements to the topology selection. However for the meantime, can you try placing it where the Hub is (as you say you get a good connection with your phone in the remote location with this) and then turn off the "poor connection" disc and back on with the power button to see if you can get it to connect with a 5GHz connection.

The reason it is showing poor is due to use of 2.4GHz rather than 5GHz - as the 5GHz signal is weaker in that exact location.

Community ModeratorDanO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 17 of 32

@Dan-O can you confirm if the operating band that the Whole Home uses in a 2-disc setup like mine, would be selected by the disc directly connected to the Hub?

If that's the case, then couldn't the issue be because the interference from neighbour WiFi is very different where I've sited Disc2 and a sub-optimal channel is being selected?

0 Ratings
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 18 of 32

When I had Disc1 sat beside my Home Hub, with the HH WiFi off, I had problems with various devices just not reliably connecting to the network. I'd just installed the Whole Home, so I made a support call and was told to go back to the standard setup with the HH WiFi still on, so I did.

Unfortunately, I didn't do any channel/signal tests at the time, but I'm happy to do them now if it helps. The HH is operating better not because of its location (which is clearly worse than the current position of Disc1), but because it's just so much more powerful - I can see that on my scanner.

I'll leave the units where they are, return the discs to automatic channel selection and turn the HH WiFi off, then I'll take some readings for you...

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 19 of 32

@basingsteve wrote:

@Dan-O can you confirm if the operating band that the Whole Home uses in a 2-disc setup like mine, would be selected by the disc directly connected to the Hub?

If that's the case, then couldn't the issue be because the interference from neighbour WiFi is very different where I've sited Disc2 and a sub-optimal channel is being selected?

The master disc connected to the Hub selects the Wi-Fi channels as it is first to boot and controls connections with the other discs. You're right in that interference can be much different at the location of other discs. It is a scenario which can go either way - there could be wild interference on channel 1 at the master but it is completely fine at Disc 2 etc - so it's a scenario that can't be avoided as the discs must use the same channel, both for physical radio reasons and also to ensure devices can roam and move between discs freely without interruption to service.

As you've found, you can change the channel if you believe another would be best suited but some routers etc have differing algorithms for choosing channels so may end up choosing the one you use, even though you have 2 access points transmitting on that channel.

And for 5GHz - because they're using 80MHz bandwidth for best speed, no matter which primary channel you use (36,40,44, or 48), the entire bandwidth will be occupied.

Community ModeratorDanO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 20 of 32

Okay, with the HH WiFi off and the WH Discs set to auto again, I have run my WiFi analyser on my laptop at both locations (Disc1 and Disc2).

Where Disc1 sits, there is no significant interference on 2.4G or 5G bands; nothing above -70 RSSI (as expected).

Where Disc2 sits, there is 5G interference on CH36 (-54 RSSI) and intermittently on CH 44 (-35 RSSI). My scanner sees Disc2 on all four 5G channels at -32 RSSI, so the interference is comparatively strong.  There is moderate 2.4G interference on CH1 only (-59 RSSI).

I guess that Disc1 is selecting 5G out of preference, since it's seeing no interference on either band.  However, Disc2 is compromised on 5G, but much clearer on 2.4G.  Since 2.4G is supposed to have better in-building penetration, I would have thought we'd get better performance on 2.4G wouldn't we?

0 Ratings