Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 21 of 32

Re: Connectivity problems Whole Home Wi-Fi

@basingsteve wrote:

Okay, with the HH WiFi off and the WH Discs set to auto again, I have run my WiFi analyser on my laptop at both locations (Disc1 and Disc2).

Where Disc1 sits, there is no significant interference on 2.4G or 5G bands; nothing above -70 RSSI (as expected).

Where Disc2 sits, there is 5G interference on CH36 (-54 RSSI) and intermittently on CH 44 (-35 RSSI). My scanner sees Disc2 on all four 5G channels at -32 RSSI, so the interference is comparatively strong.  There is moderate 2.4G interference on CH1 only (-59 RSSI).

I guess that Disc1 is selecting 5G out of preference, since it's seeing no interference on either band.  However, Disc2 is compromised on 5G, but much clearer on 2.4G.  Since 2.4G is supposed to have better in-building penetration, I would have thought we'd get better performance on 2.4G wouldn't we?

5GHz is far more preferable for several reasons - mainly that it supports 80MHz bandwidth and 802.11ac. As Whole Home has 4 antennas, this equates to 1733Mbps physical rate at 5GHz, compared to only 400Mbps at 2.4GHz. Also, it is less likely to be busy even if there are more access points on the channel as it effectively has more airtime due to the faster rates (takes less time to transfer same amount of data).

How is Disc 2 performing in this location?

Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Dbaplaya
Contributor
Message 22 of 32

Im also having issues. The app hangs when renaming devices. Ive tried it on my andriod phone and ipad. The ipad app never seems to get connectivity. Also certain devices like my panasonic tv connect but netflix doesnt work. Also if i pause the internet the app crashes and i have to turn the hubs off and on again. Overall i think this product is very poor for £180.
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 23 of 32

@Dbaplaya wrote:
Im also having issues. The app hangs when renaming devices. Ive tried it on my andriod phone and ipad. The ipad app never seems to get connectivity. Also certain devices like my panasonic tv connect but netflix doesnt work. Also if i pause the internet the app crashes and i have to turn the hubs off and on again. Overall i think this product is very poor for £180.

@Dbaplaya

This certainly isn't the normal behaviour of the discs so something is causing them to behave strangely.

Have you tried a few quick fixes?

1. Delete the app from all devices, then reboot all the discs with the power button. After they all show solid blue, reinstall the app and continue.

2. Fully reset all of the discs and reinstall. Disconnect and power off all discs except the primary disc (connected to router by Ethernet). Press the factory reset button and wait for the LED to go off, then solid blue. Once it goes flashing blue, turn it off. Now repeat this for the other discs, 1 at a time with Ethernet plugged in. Then reinstall from scratch.

If neither of the above resolve your issue - could you confirm which router you're using and whether you have any additional networking devices (e.g. switches, dns servers, etc)?

Community ModeratorDanO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Dbaplaya
Contributor
Message 24 of 32

I have tried hard resetting the discs, twice now.  Also hard reset the talktalk HG633 router. Also factory reset my LG G6 phone and removed app off ipad.

Still the same issues. 

There are no switches etc connected, just a phillips hue hub off the talktalk router.

When you say  "Once it goes flashing blue, turn it off. Now repeat this for the other discs, 1 at a time with Ethernet plugged in. Then reinstall from scratch."  

Do you mean plug each one, one at a time into the ethernet or just the 1st disc into the ethernet?

Im willing to try anything to get these working, I work in IT support so it's a tad annoying I cant even get my own wifi sorted!

Thanks

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 25 of 32

@Dbaplaya wrote:

I have tried hard resetting the discs, twice now.  Also hard reset the talktalk HG633 router. Also factory reset my LG G6 phone and removed app off ipad.

Still the same issues. 

There are no switches etc connected, just a phillips hue hub off the talktalk router.

When you say  "Once it goes flashing blue, turn it off. Now repeat this for the other discs, 1 at a time with Ethernet plugged in. Then reinstall from scratch."  

Do you mean plug each one, one at a time into the ethernet or just the 1st disc into the ethernet?

Im willing to try anything to get these working, I work in IT support so it's a tad annoying I cant even get my own wifi sorted!

Thanks

Sorry for confusion, I mean to perform resets as follows:

1. Connect 1 disc to the router with Ethernet and wait for it to show solid blue. Now press reset and the LED will go off and back to solid purple. Once it reaches flashing blue it is safe to turn off. Turn off this disc.

2. Repeat step 1 with the other discs - connect to Ethernet and reset as above. This does a complete reset.

3. Reinstall as per the app instructions

Happy to help with whatever it takes to get them working. I may need you to contact our helpdesk if we need to get system logs etc.

Community ModeratorDanO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Highlighted
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 26 of 32

@Dan-O to be fair, it has performed much better since I switched off the HH WiFi and it was able to settle on a 5G channel. It's consistently showing a blue light now with a signal strength of -78.  Since the main culprit seems to have been the Home Hub6, I'm really surprised that the recommended setup is to leave the HH WiFi switched on. Surely that's wrong?

What still puzzles me though, given the very short distance the signal is travelling (6m), is why Disc2 is still only just on "good". 

I assume it has to be because of the strong signals from the neighbour equipment on channels 36 and 44, but I live in a detached house and the neighbour's house is still a good 10m away.  How on earth would this system fare in a terraced house or block of flats?!!

I was wondering if I could improve things with a 3rd disc, but I'm not sure how it would help, given that Disc2 is in my lounge where I really need a good reliable signal for my various devices and that's where the maximum neighbour signals are. Realistically, there's nowhere I could place an extra disc between my router and the lounge.

It definitely feels like something is still wrong here in terms of the ability of these discs to discriminate from interfering equipment and I can't help feeling that its something that worsened in last week's firmware update...

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 27 of 32

@basingsteve wrote:

@Dan-O to be fair, it has performed much better since I switched off the HH WiFi and it was able to settle on a 5G channel. It's consistently showing a blue light now with a signal strength of -78.  Since the main culprit seems to have been the Home Hub6, I'm really surprised that the recommended setup is to leave the HH WiFi switched on. Surely that's wrong?

What still puzzles me though, given the very short distance the signal is travelling (6m), is why Disc2 is still only just on "good". 

I assume it has to be because of the strong signals from the neighbour equipment on channels 36 and 44, but I live in a detached house and the neighbour's house is still a good 10m away.  How on earth would this system fare in a terraced house or block of flats?!!

I was wondering if I could improve things with a 3rd disc, but I'm not sure how it would help, given that Disc2 is in my lounge where I really need a good reliable signal for my various devices and that's where the maximum neighbour signals are. Realistically, there's nowhere I could place an extra disc between my router and the lounge.

It definitely feels like something is still wrong here in terms of the ability of these discs to discriminate from interfering equipment and I can't help feeling that its something that worsened in last week's firmware update...

I understand your concerns regarding the distance. The likelihood however is that disc 2 is receiving signal "bouncing" around the walls, rather than directly through them - so the total distance is more than 6m. There are other factors at play - metal objects, pipes, electrial wiring, other electrial devices. The antenna configuration in the WHW discs is quite different from the HH6 due to the size, there is a chance the HH6 is just finding better paths around your house.

-78 is a good signal, it will turn poor (amber) at -82. I don't think that interference from neighbours is the sole cause of issues in your house, as I said there are so many factors with Wi-Fi that can all combine to give you a sub-par experience. The idea with the Whole Home Wi-Fi is that 3 discs will blanket your house with Wi-Fi so the majority of these typical factors that cause bad Wi-Fi are offset. You may find it is useful to buy a 3rd disc and see how you get on - you could subtly adjust the positions of the others to see how it affects it. There is a money back guarantee if you don't find it helps.

Community ModeratorDanO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Dbaplaya
Contributor
Message 28 of 32

Ive tried the above, reset each one, connected to ethernet.  I also reset the talktalk router again.

with just the one disc plugged in i deleted the app off my phone and downloaded it again and get this again.

Screenshot_2017-12-21-10-33-09.png

0 Ratings
Dbaplaya
Contributor
Message 29 of 32

Also ive turned off the Hue box and unplugged it.  

Also previously ive tried turning the wifi off on the talk talk - to no avail.  

0 Ratings
peterh0001
Contributor
Message 30 of 32

I've successfully renamed three "Unknown" devices on my setup and have not seen the No Response message.  However once you click on the tick to input the new name the Discs will not respond to the app or the Web interface for 2 - 3 minutes so it takes a while.  The devices are still able to use the Wi-Fi during this period you just cannot access any management info.  Your message looks like a more extreme version of this !!

Good luuck

0 Ratings