Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Afon
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Daisy-Chain Wired Backhaul

Hi Community,

Just ordered several disks and beacuse of a strange layout (long house made up of two buildings with a CAT5 connecting them), I need to combine wired and wireless in daisy chain. This is what I want:

• Disk 1 - Wired to Router
  • Disk 2 - Wireless to Disk 1
  • Disk 3 - Wired to Disk2
  • Disk 4 - Wireless to Disk 3

I have a suspicion wired will only work back to Router and this isn't possible, but trying to get Disk 3 wired back to Router will be a royal pain. Can anybody confirm the situation?

Cheers

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Daisy-Chain Wired Backhaul

Yes this is possible, just ensure you follow the app . You could connect disc three by Wi-Fi then connect it via yout cat 5 wiring before adding disc4. That should work
0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I'm not sure how that will work.

The connection between Disc 2 and disc 3- are you saying you want to link the ethernet ports on the back of the discs?

The discs use Layer 2 multicast to discover each other over ethernet. Discs 2 and 3 will probably see the cable plugged in as a bridge connection to the wifi network. You might need to link Disc 3 back to the router for it to work correctly.

Has anyone seen a supported topology diagram to see if this setup would work?

0 Ratings
BrunoN
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 4

@Afonwrote:

Hi Community,

Just ordered several disks and beacuse of a strange layout (long house made up of two buildings with a CAT5 connecting them), I need to combine wired and wireless in daisy chain. This is what I want:

• Disk 1 - Wired to Router
  • Disk 2 - Wireless to Disk 1
  • Disk 3 - Wired to Disk2
  • Disk 4 - Wireless to Disk 3

I have a suspicion wired will only work back to Router and this isn't possible, but trying to get Disk 3 wired back to Router will be a royal pain. Can anybody confirm the situation?

Cheers

Hi Afon, this configuration isn't supported; disc 3 can't be wired into disc 2. The wired connection can only be used as backhaul when plugged directly into the router.

In your case, you could possibly let disc 3 daisy chain over wifi back to disc 2 and see if that gives you the performance you require? Just install the discs through the app and let the system work out the best configuration.

If you have good wifi performance between each discs, that could still give you more than adequate performance for most tasks.

0 Ratings