cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LucianH
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Device connections - How can we trust what the SMARTHUB tells us?

I have a Smart Hub and have been looking at the devices listed under "My Devices" (the reason being that I'm trying to ascertain what appears to be a connected device that I don't recognise - but that's another issue not for this post). 

What staggers me is what appears to be total inconsistency in what the Hub is telling me.  I've seen many posts concerning what the "D" means and I could only find various suggestions but nothing conclusive (and it's not representing DCHP!).

But, the main reason for this post is the reporting of connection status.  Green means connected and Grey disconnected - correct, yes?  So why, when I am sitting in front of my PC, and with my Smartphone which is accessing the wifi, does the Hub tell me the Smartphone is disconnected?

So with the seemingly inconsistent splattering of the D's, and the incorrect reporting of the connection status, what confidence does that give us in the quality of the firmware within the Hub?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Device connections - How can we trust what the SMARTHUB tells us?

The network map of the smart hub is totally hopeless and not fit for purpose at all in my opinion, there are all sorts of inconsistencies in how and what it reports.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi @LucianH   D = Dual Stack. If you google it and compare with your devices showing a D you should see that they match. Dual Stack technology allows ISPs to process IPv4 and IPv6 data traffic simultaneously.

0 Ratings
LucianH
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Thanks VeteranISPUser.

It makes sense that it relates to Dual Stack, it's just a shame it's not consistent (the D's come and go on some devices).

And I'm still disconcerted that the connected status is also inconsistently reported.

Not a big issue, it just threw me when I was trying to track down a device I didn't recognise.

0 Ratings