Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GaryMo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Device connects to wrong Premium disc

Go to solution

Why would a device connected to my Premium Whole Home WiFi network connect to a distant disc rather than the one directly at the side of it?

My living room TV connects to the disc placed in my garage rather than the disc placed by the side of it. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Device connects to wrong Premium disc

Go to solution

The discs will try to steer devices automatically to the best disc but there are several factors that may explain why a device is not connected to what would seem the best disc:

1. Device has a good signal even though it's not the closest - The Whole Home Wi-Fi system avoids unnecessarily disrupting your device's connection when it doesn't really need to, so if the signal is good (generally -70dBm or better) steering wouldn't offer much benefit
  2. Device is streaming/generating a lot of network traffic - The WHW system avoids steering a device if it is generating a lot of network traffic so try leaving it connected and idle before using any services
  3. Some devices are "sticky" and won't move even when requested by the discs - Some devices remember which disc they connected to when you first set them up and will always connect to this specific disc, no matter how many times the WHW system tries to steer them. You can try to correct this by resetting the device's network settings and pair it again while next to the disc to see if this helps.

GaryMo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you 

0 Ratings
Sircoynie
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Hopefully the will update the gui and implement the steering lock feature that is currently inactive?
0 Ratings
Dan-O
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Yes, we do have lots of great new features and customisable controls planned for the product roadmap!

Dan-O

0 Ratings
grays85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I’ve moved a disc near my WiFi security camera and it’s got option to join network. However I check and it’s connecting to hub (weak) not disc which is right next to it causing lag in video capture  . Can I change it? 
rebooting means I’ve physically got to. Limb ladder to reset it    

0 Ratings
MurrayB
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi grays85,

Once you have connected and set up your WHW system you should turn off the wifi from your hub in order to ensure that all devices connected to the WHW discs.

0 Ratings
grays85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Did this and still it’s attempting connection to main hub , not disc 6 ft away.
0 Ratings