cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Discs using same channels with Whole Home Wifi?

Go to solution

I've just set this up with a 2 disc system and was checking the channels used with Inssider.

I was surprised to see that both discs are apparently using the same channels for 2.4 and 5GHz! Is this expected?

I'd have thought that each disc would use different channels for clients to avoid interference. There seems to be nothing in the web interface to change this.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Discs using same channels with Whole Home Wifi?

Go to solution

Hi @mr-b

The discs use the same channels to help devices roam seamlessly - this means they can "see" all of the access points from the discs without needing to scan and lose connection.

Also, the discs can only receive and transmit on a single Wi-Fi channel per band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) so they need to be the same for this reason too.

Given that your devices will only be connected to 1 disc at a time, this won't increase interference. The discs themselves transmit very little traffic so the benefits of using 1 channel outweigh the downsides of sharing a channel.

Hope this helps explain.

Dan-O

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks Dan-O for the reply.

However I still don't see how having the same channel helps.The discs will be transmitting client traffic over the backhaul so this isn't exactly "very little traffic", and surely this means that the clients are competing for bandwidth with the backhaul traffic on the same channel?

Isn't this why some other mesh wifi systems use separate wifi radios for the backhaul?

Also there are multiple devices connected to the two different discs, so can you explain how it is that two different devices communicating to two separate discs but on the same channel will not be interfering with each other?

I don't see how this is any different to a neighbour using the same channel for their wifi.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Hi, yes, some systems (known as tri-band) have a third radio dedicated for backbone traffic and avoid the problem. This is useful for extremely high data usage services. The shared radio approach gives enough bandwidth for most broadband connections.

If your devices connect using 2.4GHz to Whole Home, the bandwidth isn't shared but 2.4GHz offers much less than 5GHz due to sharing spectrum with other electronics and having narrower channels.

Wi-Fi devices don't just transmit when they like, they wait for a clear period and transmit so you don't get often get interference between Wi-Fi on the same channel, just fighting for bandwidth and time slots. It only really becomes a problem when the channel reaches maximum airtime usage.
0 Ratings