Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pnaughton
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Elderly person scam target

Go to solution

I wonder if anyone can advise me please? My elderly mother 87yrs is plagued by scammers. I have set up Call Protect and have blacklisted the numbers from scammers for weeks but we have now reached the limit on blocking numbers in Call Protect. She has been doing "surveys" for years and is now called many times per day by fraudsters. Is there any thing we could get to block these scammers. The Call Protect has reduced scam calls but many get through.  My mother has severe dementia and readily gives out bank details etc. to any one who calls and she is obviously on scammer databases.   

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
NeilO
Message 2 of 5

Re: Elderly person scam target

Go to solution

Hi @pnaughton Welcome to the community and thanks for posting, it's a horrible situation to be in and I'm sure its a constant worry for you. The Call Protect personal blacklist will allow you to add 100 numbers and I'm sorry this can't be increased. Do you have withheld, unknown and international calls also blocked as this may help reduce them further?

It sounds like your Mums number has made its way on to every colder caller/scammer database going but there are a few options which may help. If you were to add BT Answer 1571 to her line you can select a do not disturb feature on Call Protect and that will divert all calls to the junk answerphone, you can also have a VIP list of contacts who will always get through regardless of what other settings are in place.

I'd also recommend registering your mum's number for the Telephone Preference Service. Another would be to get your Mum a call-blocking phone that will only allow calls from certain numbers to get through, these usually work by allowing the contact numbers you that are stored on the handset through and all other calls are diverted to an answering machine and work very similar to the BT Answer 1571 feature you can add to the line.  Lastly, would be to change the number, I know this is a drastic action to take but the option is there if needed.

I hope that helps?

Thanks

NeilO

pnaughton
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi NeilO,

Thank you for your suggestions, these are much appreciated. 

I've registered her with TPS but scammers tend to ignore it.

We use BT Call Protect but it only allows 50 numbers to be blocked and we've used up our allowance.

I'm going to get her a phone that allows number blocking.  I've also thought about switching her number but not sure how easy it might be. 

Thank you for your feedback, 

Best Wishes PJN 

FedupScams
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Problem we have now is that blocking numbers doesn’t work as scammers aren’t using the same number twice.  Calls are now computer generated and can look as if they’re from a local number to you even. It’s very distressing.  My neighbour got 11 such calls in a few hours yesterday morning.  I use call blocker on my BT4600 phone.  Seems to work well,I fact too well as is screening all calls even contacts. You need caller display and hear a very slight buzz and nothing more as scammers just end the call. I can see a list of calls missed and the numbers are indeed very random.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

It might not be feasible due to your mother's condition but have you considered getting a new phone number or buying a  phone that you can block all calls to her phone number except those that you have preselected in her contacts/address list.

0 Ratings