cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Extend connectivity distance with Ethernet cable

Go to solution

I have a Whole Home setup with 3 dishes in the house, works great.  I want to get a dish into a garden cabin that is 30 metres from the house, I cannot pick up a decent signal from the dishes in the house.  I think I could do this one of two ways, appreciate advice & if one of the following is better:

1) Run an ethernet cable from one of the dishes in the house out to the cabin and connect to a new dish in the cabin.

2) Run an ethernet cable from the Virgin router out to the cabin and connect to a new dish in the cabin. If I do this will this be a different BT Home LAN to the one in the house.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Extend connectivity distance with Ethernet cable

Go to solution
30 metres from the house is a little bit of a challenge for the Whole Home, the cheapest option would be to connect using a power-line extender with its own hot-spot , your not going to require MESH working between the cabin and house.

Option 2 would be my other preferred solution assuming the cabin is on the same power consumer unit.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Tom_Cooper 

Are you using Whole Home Wi-Fi (1st gen) discs?

If so you can connect more than 1 disc by Ethernet to the router and they will join the same network (and share the same SSID/network name and password etc)

Dan-O

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I think it's 1st gen on the basis the box doesn't say 2nd gen.  Thanks for the info, much appreciated, a long cable from the router it is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Many thanks, I'll go for option 2.
0 Ratings